Getting Rid of Mole, Voles, or Gophers

Is there an easy way to rid my yard of voles, moles, and gophers? They are destroying my lawn and shrubs.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Dee from Long Island, NY

Best Answer

Castor Oil and Cayenne pepper work pretty well. The Castor Oil has to be an industrial grade (you can see if you have Murphy's Castor Oil around the house). They don't like the smell of the pepper or oil.

The trouble with moles and voles is they dig, and most products out on the market only hit the surface. If you're only concerned about your garden or other small area, try stirring up the soil a little and put some cayenne pepper and castor oil in there. Ammonia is also a strong smell that will deter them.

I've also heard of using human hair. Never tried it, but some friends told me if you stir it in the soil that will repel them as well. I've even heard someone say they used to put a donut in the holes, and it actually worked! :)

Mom looked into how to get rid of these this past spring because we had holes all over the yard for the first time in 15 years. (Must've been a good year for rodents!) Mom read about putting chewing gum into the holes. It worked for awhile. I noticed last week when I was in the yard that there are a bunch of holes again, but we were really busy from July-Oct doing 24 hr home health care for my bedridden mom with cancer. She died 2 weeks ago so peacefully (praise God) and I miss the wealth of information she possessed on cleaning and keeping a house beautiful. Look up the chewing gum thing online. I bet others have tried it.

I have read so many postings for people wanting to get rid of gophers etc and here is my solution,it really works. Buy the traffic flares. Light it and stick it in the hole-then cover it up. Your gopher can't stand the heat or the smell of sulphur. We were gopher free for about 5 years. Encourage your neighbor to do the same thing. It won't hurt your plants or the grass if it's at least 5 inches below the ground.

Anonymous

I think my moles just went packing, but not without a lot of destruction. My yard is bumpy & lumpy and very soft. You sink because of the tunnels. I bought some sonic sticks from Amazon. They are the better quality for near $25 each. Just put the required 4-D size batteries and stick them into the ground. Put them in as deep as possible, but still able to retrieve it when needed. Years ago I got rid of a gopher this way.

Anonymous

I insert moth balls right under the area. Kazam-they're gone!