Organizing a Walk-in Closet

My closet is a small walk-in closet. I have tried everything to keep it clean, but it keeps getting messy! I could buy some organizers, but I have no money. Please help me keep it clean!

Thank You!
TN from Fallon, NV

Use any money or save your money for Huggable Hangers from HSN. They are also on eBay.

Usually, messy closets are from being too crowded. So take everything out--all of it, and put in a stack only that which you wear. It will go back in. Now you see how much you have for hanging racks--especially half-height racks, which save space.

Check shoe stores for used shoe boxes. They make great storage. Label them.

For the clothes you don't wear, store them, give them to charity or to a resale. If you don't have money, you probably don't need the tax write-off, so try for resale first. They want things in season, and very good condition.

Put up wood rods using rod holders from the hardware store. They are inexpensive, and can double your hanging space.

Then, hang every thing up, and keep doing that. Every now and then, clean out your closet.

I'll bring together two excellent posts I have seen on this site. I claim no authorship. I wish that I had known these 2 hints before purchasing new hangers.

Instead of buying hangers, ask if you can have the discarded hangers at some of the clothing stores. There is an earlier post with details about obtaining them.

Then, wrap rubber bands around each end of the hangers to keep things from slipping off as someone else has already suggested. Instant slip-resistant hangers for little to no $. How great is that?

I bought Huggable Hanger type hangers at The Christmas Tree Shop, half the price and no shipping. Love them! The only thing you can't hang on them is heavy items like jeans because the hangers bend. But they do save a lot of space.

Organizing ClosetJuly 28, 2006
mirrored closets
Affixing Fabric to Mirrored Closet Doors
Organized Closet
Organizing Your Bedroom Closet
Cat attached to a leash.
Training Your Cat to Walk on a Leash
organizing a hall closet
Organizing Your Hall Closet