Stretching Your Food Budget

Trying to make budget meals exciting can be a challenge these days. I use a three prong approach:

1. To stretch meals, I use a metal meat tenderizer tool to pound the meat. It tenderizes the cheaper cuts of meat and makes the portions seem larger.

2. To bring some excitement and color to meals I use diced colored bell peppers, parsley, red onions, canned mushrooms: whatever seems to be on hand and is colorful to bring some sparkle to the dish. These additions also help stretch the dish without too much added cost.

3. Adding a little extra seasoning helps to fool my tongue into thinking I'm having a larger portion because the taste is intensified. A happy tongue means a happy tummy.

By Frazzled Leslie from New Orleans LA

Man Shopping for  Food on a Budget
Stretching Your Food Budget
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cheap MealsApril 2, 2009
Woman Consulting Her Shopping List in the Supermarket
Creating a Food Budget
Nail Polish
Stretching Nail Polish
A couple working on their household budget.
Reducing Your Household Budget
Liquid Hand Soap
Stretching Liquid Hand Soap