Living Room Paint Color Advice

I have a dark blue/gray couch and love seat, with a black TV stand and coffee table. I am looking to paint my walls, but I want to put up some black and white photos, too. I have an off white wall now and it seems to be too boring. What color wall would look great? I heard brown or beige would be good. Any ideas?

By Nancy from Houston, TX,

How about a blue grey color or the tan and maybe add some bright floral or striped pillows? A multicolored rug on the floor would add some color too. I might paint the silver frame & sconces white also to go with the crown molding. Good luck.

Guess I am nuts, but i see brown or beige as also being rather dull and eventually quite boring. (I am not a young "pierced eyebrow" modern day gal, but rather a 71 year old that thinks life is too great to live it in a boring way). How about one wall, anyway, with a pop of something in a shade of red, (not a screaming red), or a light, brighter blue, or any other color that will be not boring, but rather a focus. It is not hard to find colors that will be compatible with the colors you describe, just give it a try. Not boring any more. Loretta from Theodore, Alabama

I think a medium to deep tan would really make the black accents in the room pop.

Definitely gray. Especially since you have some gray in your couch. A medium gray I would think. Too dark and it would fight with the couch. You can get paint samples even and try out a couple of shades. Good luck!

Most times you see b&w photos they are on white walls like NY loft type decor, but I do like mauve or brown behind b&w. Love your crown molding. May I suggest leaving your walls white in a flat paint, then paint 6" stripes using semi gloss. Makes the walls look rich. You might also try painting your lamp shades, make them pop. That's a great picture. I think it should stand alone.

April 9, 2015 Flag

I have light wood floors, a print beige and burgundy with medium green, dark brown recliner, and off white wood shades on large window. What color walls? I was thinking of light beige walls and drapes on a decorative black rod to flow on the sides of the window shades.

By Marie P.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This sounds a little like my bedroom. I have beige carpet, mission style medium dark wood color and floral curtains with pinks greens burgandys and some blue. I currently have a very very pale lilac (it looks pink) with even more pale trim (it looks white). This has been a very pleasing scheme for years.

I like your idea. I prefer a neutral background, and I like drapes that blend into the wall colour rather than shout "look at me, look at me". I think it makes the room look more spacious and full of light. As well, should you change out any of your furniture, the walls will still look good with it.

February 1, 2013 Flag

I recently moved in a new place. The living room rug is dark green. What colors would go good with it? All I can come up with is a rain forest look. How do I make my living room have a natural outdoors type look? I know I can throw some plants in to feel like nature. Please anyone have any ideas?

By Shay

Green goes well with tan. You can also have a lighter shade of green, like sea foam or moss. Yes, plants always make a room look more homey, plus it gives us more oxygen.

You can get accents in nature like log cabins, moose, bears and such. I am sending you a sample of some really cool accents and if you can, keep all the white you can out of the room. It will look like a hard candy during the holidays.

Good luck,

PBP

https://www.google.com/search?q=cab ... 4a5521b543f&biw=1024&bih=677

July 16, 2010 Flag

Living Room Paint Color Advice

I need help choosing paint colors. I just bought a house that has light grey carpet. The living room has light brown walls with a green marble fireplace, white blinds, and I own a burgundy leather furniture. What color of paint, if any, would go with these existing items?

By Christina from Overland Park, KS

Answers:

Living Room Paint Color Advice

Several years ago I had the same problem. I bought a shade of paint called "Flora" from Walmart. It was so beautiful that while I was selling the house people commented on it and asked what color it was. I liked it so well I painted several rooms with it. The thing about that color was that it looked different in other rooms depending on the light. It was a kind of sandy color with a slight coral tint. (03/27/2010)

By Ann

Living Room Paint Color Advice

Why not take the picture with you to look at color samples. I'm thinking something burgundy or slate blue. (03/27/2010)

By Noella

Living Room Paint Color Advice

To me, having watched a lot of HGTV shows, I would say a nice red would work. Crimson red, would probably do a trick cause it will bring out the black and the gray in the carpet. On the other hand, a yellow might work, but then it may make that trimming of the wood look funny. If you don't mind painting the wood, I would paint that white, and then do the crimson color. The wood color is probably the hardest thing to match because it's just well different than the rest of the colors.

Now again the other colors, on the prints would not go with the red, So, I would suggest maybe a off white or cream, but then that's a bit boring, but it would bring about the color of the pictures, or maybe a lilac color to bring in the prints, again I would repaint the fireplace wood to white. (03/27/2010)

By rosefroggie

Living Room Paint Color Advice

I think it would be neat to paint the wall that has the fireplace a reddish shade that matches your burgundy leather furniture. Then paint the other walls a lighter shade of red. Good luck! (03/29/2010)

By kitkatk100

March 24, 2010 Flag

I have contemporary sofas (brown with beige on the upper part) and a big brown rug. I am going to paint my living room, but I want to keep a contemporary style. What colors should I use?

By Denblue from Los Angeles, CA

Answers:

Living Room Paint Color Advice

How about a teal color? I have a medium shade teal in my living room with beige couches and dark brown leather ottoman, dark end tables and large dark entertainment center. I made my curtains out of beige table cloths, added a multicolored stripe 4 feet off the floor using table runner (cut in half for 2 panels), then finished them off with a wide stripe of teal. I hung them with drapery clip rings I found at Home Depot. I used a throw rug with beige background and celadon green, light teal, dark teal, brown, and burgundy interlaced circles. I can send picture later if you like. (05/07/2009)

By trchsngr

May 7, 2009 Flag

I just bought a red couch and have brown suede chair. I also just bought two olive green pillows for the couch. What would be a good color to paint my living room with my kitchen adjoining? A good color would be helpful for my kitchen also.

Sidney from Warner Robins, GA

Answers:

Living Room Paint Color Advice

Sage would look great with your living room colors. Taupe in your adjoining kitchen would blend well. (05/19/2008)

By perfume and powder

Living Room Paint Color Advice

Another option would be a mustardy yellow color, which I think would look good with the reds and greens in the living room and also look good in the kitchen. (05/20/2008)

By Peggy

Living Room Paint Color Advice

Light cream would go great with red, brown and green! (05/21/2008)

By Divana

Living Room Paint Color Advice

Definitely a warm yellow (05/22/2008)

By Kit

Living Room Paint Color Advice

Saddle-leather tan. Avoid the crayola look by having one of each of too many colors. The general principle is to have a main color, a second color which is a shade of the main color, such as brown and tan, and then an accent color totally different in small amounts, such as aqua. (05/22/2008)

By kimhis

Nicely decorated living room.
Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJuly 16, 2010
Living Room Colors
Living Room Color Scheme Advice
dining room
Dining Room Paint Color Advice
Furniture in a Living Room
Arranging Furniture in a Living Room
Living Room 2 Different Colors
Painting a Living Room 2 Different Colors
🎉
🎄