Washing Silverware in the Dishwasher

Should silveware be washed in a dishwasher?

By Ray from Ontario, Canada

I have always washed mine in the dishwasher. The only ones I wouldn't do is ones with wooden or plastic handles.

Another tip, I quit washing anything clear glass in the dishwasher. I always wondered why my glasses invariably came out looking frosty, no matter what brand of soap I used. I ran across a tip about 8 months ago saying the dishwasher was causing it. I bought new glasses and have been washing them by hand ever since and they still look like new.

I wouldn't wash silver or silver plate silverware in the dishwasher (or any other silver or silver plated item for that matter) if that's what you were wondering. The hot water and dishwasher detergent in a dishwasher will eventually damage the silver causing it to need professional refinishing.

Just hand wash them with mild soap in warm water. Usually a couple of times a year you'll need to clean them with silver tarnish remover and then just wash them again afterwards in the soapy water.

If you're talking basic flatware that isn't actually silver, every dishwasher has a silverware/flatware basket. However, when we used a dishwasher 30+ years ago, we had to thoroughly rinse and swab everything to loosen the food first. I find I get everything cleaner washing by hand, and wouldn't trust a dishwasher. Washing by hand is greener, anyway.

I wash all of my cutlery in the dishwasher. I don't pre-rince anything either, unless it is egg that has dried on. Sometimes a few pieces come out with food still stuck on, but that is usually if the dishwasher is exceeding full. I use stainless steel cutlery all the time, and silver plated cutlery occasionally. All go through the dishwasher perfectly fine.

Silverware
Washing Silverware in the Dishwasher
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesFebruary 9, 2010
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Dishwasher with dishes in it.
Dishwasher Tips and Tricks
old silverware
Uses for Old Silverware
Finished Wind Chimes
Silverware Wind Chimes
🎄
🍂