Is My Kitten a Tonkinese?

Does anyone know anything about Tonkinese kittens? If so, can you tell me if my kitten is one? Also, he still doesn't meow. Thank you.

By Beccaann from Niles, MI

He sure looks like the two Tonkinese I adopted, and the 6 more one of them ended up having! God Bless, Sheila in Decatur, IL

July 21, 20090 found this helpful ... gle+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

I googled them and got all the info you need. Some cats, like maincoon's don't meow. They coo more like doves. You have a wonderful critter there, so enjoy.

I don't know anything about Tonkinese but do not worry if your kitty never meows :-) I had a Persian once who made a little squeaking sound when she tried to meow and it sounded so cute :-) She lived to be fifteen and that was just her way of talking :-)

Oh, and hello to you and all in Niles :-) I have lots of cousins there and in Cassopolis ;-)

Thank you to eveyone that replys. The kitten was found in a cold air duct about 3 weeks of age, there was 3 of them and was the only one that made it, and he is doing really good he is about 12weeks old now and his name is Lucky.

What a cutie! My Maine Coon doesn't really meow. She will make a warbly sound if she is locked in a room or out of food or something but she is mostly quiet. It sounds like this is common.

A Tonkin is a blocky, small Siamese cat, different from the standard, wiry Siamese. I had a Tonkin many years ago, she lived to one month shy of 21 years. she meowed pretty much normally. This looks like a shaded silver tabby to me. GoogleImages that name and look at the pictures, some look a lot like yours.

I still have my big cat ID books, and they show Tonkan's which are more like the Siamese in build, so I have seen both very blocky Tonkan's (like mine) and rather streamline ones-but not as streamlined as a Siamese.

If you GoogleImages Tonkin cat, one webpage shows up. Tonkinese cat may do better.

We are owned by 4 cats and have one who visits. one moans-a Norwegian Forest cat. Had him 3-4 years before I ever heard him say "meow", and he hasn't said it since. Sounds just like a moan when he talks. His partner in crime, a mirror image of him but with Siamese ancestry, also doesn't meow. He chirrups. brrr'p! brrr'p!. A tabby marked calico who died 3 years ago either said "Ma-Ma" or Mow-Mow", or talked a blue streak. she had a huge vocabulary. but generally she just said "Ma-Ma". we have a big, burly orange tabby. he squeeks. He talked like a tom before we fixed him, but when they talk about men speaking in a higher octave, it sure happened to the orange tabby.

And we have a teensy, tiny torti-point Siamese. she "crickets" when she's content, (sounds like a little cricket has got into the house), and she also squeeks and also meows like she has larengitis, "maaahh" soft and raspy. there's a tabby point tom next door who talks like a standard tom (deep and throaty) though he's fixed. it may be based on breed, Calico's often talk funny. Siamese are loud and insistent. a cat that doesn't talk? I've had some quiet ones, including our moaner, but never a silent one. I've heard of one, perhaps a Turkish Van? not sure.

I have seen/heard of some wonderful silver tabbies.

Which reminds me, each breed has it's own personality. for instance, orange tabbies are truly great lovers and will gladly become your best friend, and black cats are truly stubborn. "no" is not part of their vocabulary unless they say it. if you say it to a black cat you might as well have said nothing. as long as the two of you understand and accept this, the black cat is as wonderful as any other cat, but they will own you, not the other way around! lol!

Our cat is a white & has a black tail, and 2 grey spots. Blue eyes also. He didn't talk or Meow at all unless he is afraid or hurt. This didn't happen until he was over a year old. Now that he is 7 yrs old, he will look at you and like he is asking a question, make a small noise. He is very healthy and loving.

There is no need for him to talk as he is very spoiled. Your kitten is a darling, even if he never meows, he will communicate with you.

I had a Tonkinese once. It sure looks like one. My cat used to be very vocal, though. When I talked to him he would say "MEOW!" (Very loudly) He was so loveable and followed me everywhere. I wish I could get another one. You are so sweet to rescue him.

Tonkinese Cat
Tonkinese Breed - Information and Photos
Pets Cats Cat BreedsJuly 20, 2009
One Month Old Kittens
Feeding a One Month Old Kitten
Flea Bath
Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath
Black and White Kitten
Adopting a Kitten
Teething Kitten
Teething Kitten Advice