Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel

Weeds will take root where ever they can; even in gravel. This guide is about preventing and killing weeds in gravel.

August 3, 2006 Flag

I am trying to kill weeds in a large area of gravel. There is 6 fruit trees I don't want to effect plus a lawn in the middle that i don't want to kill. So what can I make that is strong enough to kill all the weeds but won t harm other things growing around?

Mike from Big Bear City, CA

I'm not aware of any home remedies you can make to kill weeds selectively over a large area. For weeds growing up through the gravel you can try spot spraying them with vinegar (vinegar is not selective though, so be careful). You need a hot sunny day for this for it to be really effective. You could also burn weeds with a propane torch. This method seems to work really well for weeds in gravel driveways or paths. Pouring straight Epsom salt on some weeds will turn them black and kill them over the course of a few days. Another strategy is to prevent weeds from germinating by applying corn gluten meal to the area. This is a natural corn by-product (usually used in animal feeds) that provides pre-emergent weed control by interfering with root development. You should be able to find it at feed stores and some garden centers. Corn gluten meal is also non-selective, so you need to time application with when your weeds normally germinate. It won't harm already planted grass or bulbs (in fact it's a great lawn fertilizer), but if you planning on re-seeding your lawn or planting flower seeds in the area you'll need to wait 6 weeks. It's usually applied at a rate of 2 lbs per 100 square feet and provides 6 to 8 weeks of control.

Good luck!

You can put Round up on them directly - not by spraying but by having rubber gloves on...placing the round up on the finger and thumb of the glove and rubbing it on the weeds. Put about 6 or 7 layers of newspaper directly on those areas with something heavy over it or you could place some preen on it.

straight vinegar.don't get it on anything you don't want to die!

Hormoban is a selective spray. It will kill the weeds but not the lawn, trees or anything else you want to preserve.

Corn gluten meal is expensive as compared to to other products and it takes a lot of applications to see any kind of results. I spend a small fortune on some weeds in my back yard and it didn't get rid of them. Too expensive for me to keep applying.

April 30, 2007 Flag

I have a beautiful gravel driveway but the weeds are driving me crazy (no pun intended). Do you have a low cost solution?

D Dunn from Shreveport, LA

Best Answer

I find that pouring boiling water on weeds helps to keep my gravel driveway quite clear. I attack them as they appear so they do not get a chance to take hold. Best of luck.

Best Answer

I have used the vinegar, but I used plain old kitchen vinegar. Just bring it to a boil to concentrate, let cool, put into a spray bottle. I also add some undiluted lemon juice with the vinegar.

Best Answer

All you have to do is dissolve ordinary table salt in some water and pour it onto each weed - make it quite strong though. I used to do this on our tennis court where the odd weed came up and it works like a charm. Happy weeding!

Buy a 4 litre jug of vinegar and remove @2 cups.

Add 1 cup salt shake and use to spray on weeds.

It will kill anything it touches, so be careful.

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsFebruary 27, 2012
killing weeds
Planting After Killing Weeds With Vinegar
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
A nicely planted organic vegetable garden.
Preventing Weeds When Planting Your Garden
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically