Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Gravel Driveway

Weeds will take root where ever they can; even in gravel. This guide is about preventing and killing weeds in gravel.

Solutions: Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Killing Weeds in Gravel

Question:

I am trying to kill weeds in a large area of gravel. There is 6 fruit trees I don't want to effect plus a lawn in the middle that i don't want to kill. So what can I make that is strong enough to kill all the weeds but won t harm other things growing around?

Mike from Big Bear City, CA

Answer:

Mike,

I'm not aware of any home remedies you can make to kill weeds selectively over a large area. For weeds growing up through the gravel you can try spot spraying them with vinegar (vinegar is not selective though, so be careful). You need a hot sunny day for this for it to be really effective. You could also burn weeds with a propane torch. This method seems to work really well for weeds in gravel driveways or paths. Pouring straight Epsom salt on some weeds will turn them black and kill them over the course of a few days. Another strategy is to prevent weeds from germinating by applying corn gluten meal to the area. This is a natural corn by-product (usually used in animal feeds) that provides pre-emergent weed control by interfering with root development. You should be able to find it at feed stores and some garden centers. Corn gluten meal is also non-selective, so you need to time application with when your weeds normally germinate. It won't harm already planted grass or bulbs (in fact it's a great lawn fertilizer), but if you planning on re-seeding your lawn or planting flower seeds in the area you'll need to wait 6 weeks. It's usually applied at a rate of 2 lbs per 100 square feet and provides 6 to 8 weeks of control.

Good luck!
Ellen

By Ellen Brown

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel.

Question: Weeds In a Gravel Driveway

I have a beautiful gravel driveway but the weeds are driving me crazy (no pun intended). Do you have a low cost solution?

D Dunn from Shreveport, LA

Most Recent Answer

By abc8xyz [13]07/27/2007

If I do any of these tips... will I ever have to 'reapply' again or would this be the only time? I want to take care of this and not add this to my yearly 'To Do' list.