Recipe For Garlic Olive Oil

How to make plain olive oil into garlic flavor oil, any recipes?

Birthaleen from Burbank, CA

I'm sure that it would be very simple to make and not have to follow a recipe.

Pour a small amount of olive oil into a clean jar or bottle and add a clove of garlic or some minced garlic. Make sure you put cap on jar or bottle. I would put the olive oil in the refrigerator so it wouldn't go rancid. Keep it refrigerated for several days, so the garlic has a chance to flavor the olive oil. Do a taste test and see if the olive oil has a hint of garlic flavor. Strain out the garlic and keep olive oil refrigerated.

Bon Apetit!

Marge from NY

I found this information - it is not as simple as it looks: Flavored olive oils and dressings make great gifts but watch out; there are safe and unsafe ways to make flavored olive oil. The unsafe way is to put anything in the oil that contains water. That would include garlic, lemon peel, fresh peppers, fresh herbs and spices. The oil will not support bacterial growth but the water containing herbs will. Botulism bacteria can grow in this type of environment. There are several ways to get around this listed on this website: http://www.oliveoilsource.com/flavoring_olive_oils.htm

I have also seen this caution on a variety of cooking shows.

I peel and separate a head of garlic and put it in my food processor with a quart of good quality olive oil. I save the olive oil bottle and sterilize it. The garlic/olive oil mixture, I refrigerate for a few days and then strain out the garlic, which I save separately. I then heat the oil at a medium low heat long enough to kill any possible contamination and evaporate any water from the garlic and return it to the oil bottle. I save the crushed garlic and freeze it for use in sauces, soups, etc. Some Trader Joes and Whole Foods carries the Consorzio Garlic Olive oil. And some Costco stores on the West Coast carry it also.

I don't know how much you would like to make, but I usually just make as needed like this: decided how much oil you will need for the meal and put it into a small saucepan. Heat the oil (med. heat for toasted garlic, lower for a fresher garlic flavor). Crush garlic... depending on the size of the cloves I use 1 clove for 1 - 2 oz. oil. You might want to play with this to get it the way you like it. This doesn't take long to do and I don't have to fool with storing it.

Happy cooking!

Flavored Oil
Flavored Oil Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceSeptember 14, 2007
Storing Olive Oil
Storing Olive Oil
oil lamp on white background
Using Olive Oil as Fuel for Oil Lamps
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
Infused Oil
Making Infused Oils
🎉
🎄