Keeping Mud Out of Gravel RV Pad

I built a RV pad. I spread 2 inches of gravel to keep our shoes clean. My problem: There are hundreds of very large earth worms living underneath the gravel. These earthworms bring up so much soil that my gravel is becoming muddy when it rains. How can I correct this problem?

By zoli from southern CA

I am not an RV'er, so my apologies for not understanding the lingo. I'm assuming that by the phrase "RV pad" you mean a place to park your RV. It's been my experience (and many thanks to my wise husband) that a mere two inches of gravel strewn over dirt really offers no long term solution in eliminating dirt, worms, weeds or mud. It's just not (sigh) that simple.

For a plain, simple, rather rustic looking, and low cost lawn chair area, we dug out a minimum of six inches of soil, lined the area with plastic weed mat, outlined the area with landscaping timber, and then filled in with six inches of gravel/river rock. I'm guessing you will need at least this for a pad to park your RV and possibly much more, due to the weight of the vehicle, to keep out the dirt and the weeds and the worms.

If I misunderstood your post, yippee! You won't have to redo your work. But if I understood it correctly, (another sigh) your pad is not sufficient for your needs and expectations: I'm afraid you just might have to start over. Don't trust my assessment, contact landscapers and/or construction workers to get the real deal advice. I hope you find a good solution to this issue for a fair and reasonable cost. Good luck!

You've heard the term "Make lemonade from lemons"? Capture the worms and sell them as bait.

You might see if you can find an old carpet that someone is throwing away before you put down more gravel. It will break down after time but will take a long time to do that. Then at least you would not need so much gravel.

Remove the gravel (you can use it for another project) and pour a cement pad instead. Then you won't have to worry about the mud or worms and concrete is easily sweepable or washable with a hose.

Take up the gravel and save it. Buy the heavy duty black plastic that comes in rolls (sold at Walmart, etc. usually in the paint section). Cut and lay down the amount you need, then place your hosed down gravel on top of the plastic, problem solved.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Outdoor StructuresDecember 9, 2010
Muddy Shoes
Removing Mud From Shoes
Mouse Pad
Cleaning a Mouse Pad
A girl with mud stains on her clothing.
Removing Mud Stains from Clothing
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel
🎄
🍂