Cleaning Pet Urine Stains and Odors From a Tile Floor

Category Floors
cat on a tile floor
Removing urine stains and odors from flooring can be a challenge. This guide is about cleaning pet urine stains and odors from a tile floor.

I have a Florida room that I keep my 4 (don't ask) little dogs in at night. The floor is tile and I have to mop the floor every day. What is the best way to mop this floor that will neutralize the smell?

Also, does anyone know, what is the best way to keep the dogs from "using" the floor of this room as their potty? They have a doggie door that takes them right to their dog pen. Should I try taking their food and water away from them at night or what?

I am at my wits end. I love them all but the constant cleaning is killing me. They are all adopted so I will not get rid of any of them as they are my babies.

TIA
Cookiepom

Answers

Best Answer

The best way to teach them where you want them to go is to put some of the waste material in the area you want and then patiently train them until they understand what you want. I also have small dogs. It can take quite awhile, once they have learned bad habits.

The scent is what they are responding to. Dogs will tend to go where the scent indicates they have gone before. If you pick up or mop up some of the mess with paper towels and then place them outside where they should be going, it will be a good start. Show it to them right away, and remind them buy taking them out to that spot whenever you catch them going indoors. Be patient. It may seem it will never work, but in my experience they are very cooperative once they "get it." Also, find the strongest odor remover you can find and use it every day indoors. If that doesn't seem to be doing it, try a very strong odor that the dogs will not appreciate, such as vinegar or ammonia. Keep the scent indoors eliminated or covered, and keep reminding them.

The second part of the training is to make sure you praise and reward them when they do what you want, and make absolutely certain that you do not do anything they might think of as a reward when they do what you do not want them to do. My dogs get a treat every night when I put them to bed. I make absolutely certain that they do not get this treat anytime within 15 minutes of the time I have to clean up any mess on the floor. I also give it to them immediately after I get the soiled puppy pad up and put a new one down. They are getting the idea.

It is a very bad idea to withhold food and (especially) water for training purposes.

Denise

Best Answer

I agree with the cage at night. It's not mean. I had a Great Dane who preferred her kennel. She would voluntarily go in to take naps. It was her special place that she could have all to herself. I agree that they are going because they smell that they've gone there before. You will have to try to get that smell out and probably seal the grout or something. And as long as they're in a room temperature area, I don't think they would have a problem with not having their food and water out at night. My dog is fed free choice because I haven't had any problem with him with weight or accidents, but I know vets sometimes recommend having a feeding schedule for your dog. My mother in law's dogs are fed at 7 am and 4 pm, water is left out all day...then at night they go to their "bed". They are perfectly fine.

Best Answer

The grout on your tile floors is where the residual smell remains. If you were able to totally clean it, you could, in theory, seal your grout and then the smell would be gone.

I know nothing about training dogs, but I'm assume you'll have to do both.

It sounds like this has been occuring for quite awhile, and I doubt there is a way to entirely remove the smell from the grout. The best solution is to remove the grout and re-grout the room. This is something you can do yourself if you have patience. Any home improvement store will have the necessary tools. If you are really patient, I reccommend an epoxy grout. This grout resists stains and spills much more than a regular grout and never needs to be sealed. The downside, is that it takes more time and care when grouting.

Best Answer

I have five pitbulls a pug and two chihuahuas in my house I have no children so they are my babies. I had some trouble at my old house but there is stuff that you can buy on the t.v. called urine be gone. IT WORKS GREAT since I have moved I have made it a rule to take them out about 6 times a day and leave them out for about 20 minutes each time. Now they tell me when they need to go outside. It took me about two months to perfect it but it is so worth it.

Best Answer

Agree with the poster who mentioned crating your furbabies at night; they will probably protest at first, but it sure beats mopping up urine all over the place every morning.

See you're from the South, too-- Publix has a really inexpensive product in the pet food aisle called Pet Select PEE-PEE; it comes in a fairly large bottle and is for odor and stain removal.

We picked this up--not for my dog, thank heaven-- when a friend's dog came over and puddled all over the place. Worked great!

Dependent upon how big that room is, I'd pick up a couple of bottles ( under $20), block the dogs' access to the floor, spread it full-strength on it so it seeps into the grout and let it sit for about a half-hour.

Mop that up and then follow the bottle directions and mop again and rinse.

This stuff really is excellent and I've also used it as a stain pre-treat for normal laundry!

I would like to know how to remove pet urine stains and smells on tile floors without taking up the old floors and having them redone.

By Lanissa from Gulfport, MS

Answers

Best Answer

Hello, I have found that urine is a tough one to remove because if the animal can still smell just a little bit of it they tend to go back to the same spot again. There are several expensive ways to go such as Zero Odor and then some slightly less expensive products made by Arm and Hammer that I do endorse as working pretty good. I use some of the Arm and Hammer products myself and at times I have used a little bit of Clorox and water or pine-sol and water and I have not had any fading as of yet but I do stress little bit on the Clorox.

I started using the bleach tablets that you drop in a gallon of warm water as a disinfectant and I have to say that I am impressed. They work great and I even got some on my shirt one day and took it off quickly and rinsed it out and it didn't even fade my shirt & believe me I have done that many times in the past trying to use the bleach in the bottle.

One other really great idea for the urine odor that works great if you can do it, is to keep the door closed or if its not a cat you can put up a child's gate to the room for about a month or so and I know that this sounds like a lot o trouble but believe me it really does work. It gives the floor time to rid itself of the scent. When I first read that one, I thought it was nuts, but it actually turned out to be one of the best ideas for urine problem areas. Good luck.

Best Answer

Try soaking a rag in white vinegar, and putting it on the stains to soak for several hours or overnight, rewetting the rag if needed. Then wipe clean. This has worked for me. Apparently acetic acid is stronger than uric acid. Kaboom bathroom cleaner( the one that turns from blue to white when the surface is clean) also seems to work well on cereamic tile around the toilet.

I have ceramic tile in my kitchen and dark carpet in other parts of my home. I can't see the where the pets pee on the carpet unless I see them. What can I use to clean tile and remove stains and clean the carpet to get rid of the odor?

Best Answer

Hello,

Use an ENZYME based pet odor and stain remover. I've used a few brands, they all have worked. Find it on Amazon or your local stores...any store that sells cleaning product should carry it.

Also, you can use a blacklight to find stains on your dark carpet. The urine will fluoresce.

Good luck!

How can I remove urine stains from a tile floor?

By Doreen from A. from Santa Ana, CA

Best Answer

Denture Tablet with hot water, let it sit for a while or overnight. Then wipe clean.

How do I get the smell of animal urine off tile flooring?

By Kayr

Answers

Best Answer

I don't know about cat urine, but someone on this site recommended Suave Juicy Green Apple shampoo to get human urine smells off and out of ceramic tile around a commode.

I don't have ceramic tile, but bought it anyway in case we get them someday.

I don't know where you live but here are the details for Suave:

www.suave.com

1-800-782-8301

distributed by Unilever

Chicago, Illinois 60601, USA

Lots of luck!

When using floor cleaner (non ammonia) or just water to wash tiles, an dog urine smell results. There is no smell from them until washed. Our dog is now a few years old and outside, so this comes from a few years ago. How do I stop this odor?

I have always used baking soda to get rid of dog and cat pee odors. Mix some baking soda in water and try washing your floor with this. Vinegar is another good product to use to get rid of odors. Baking soda in a cat box will stop the box from smelling.

How do I remove urine stains from ceramic tile?

By thecaz57

Answers:

Removing Urine Stains on Tile Floor

Use the "Pee Recipe" (adjust ingredient amounts to your needs):

As with any product that you would put on your carpet, flooring, or furniture, please test for colorfastness. To test for colorfastness, mix a small amount of the solution and place on a hidden area of your carpet. Wait 24 hours or until carpet is dry before proceeding to full treatment.

We recommend extreme caution when treating fine fabrics and upholstery. You must be extra careful in checking for colorfastness. Do not skip this step, thinking, "Oh, I'm sure it will be fine." It may not. You must test a hidden area and wait 24 hours before proceeding to a full treatment.

Odor Remover

• 16 oz. (2 cups) hydrogen peroxide
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 small drops liquid dishwashing soap (Dawn, Palmolive, etc.)

Place all ingredients in a glass jar or bowl. Gently stir do not beat or shake, until baking soda is dissolved. If urine is fresh, be sure to blot up any excess urine with dry paper towels or a dry washcloth before the next step.

Pour mixture over urine spot, making sure to cover the entire spot. Allow mixture to completely soak the area being treated. Do not rub or scrub. Let sit for 24 hours without disturbing. After 24 hours, take clean paper towels or a clean, white washcloth and blot up any remaining liquid. Again, do not rub or scrub. Allow area to air dry completely. If you are treating carpet, you can vacuum over the area when dry.

Makes 16 oz. (2 cups) of solution.

Tips:

• The solution is most active for one hour after mixing. Be sure to apply the solution within this time period for maximum effectiveness.
  • Do not enclose the mixture in an airtight container, or you could have a big mess on your hands. The reason for this is because when the ingredients are combined they release oxygen (Remember making "volcanoes" out of baking soda and vinegar when you were a little kid? Similar principle here.).
  • Two alternate methods of applying the solution are using a spray bottle or a garden watering can. A spray bottle works best for applying the solution to hard surfaces like concrete or linoleum, or to vertical surfaces like walls or shower tile. This is not the best method for carpet. Just be sure to thoroughly spray the area you are treating. A garden watering can is best for medium to large areas, indoors or outdoors.
  • For really tough odors, you may have to treat the area more than once. Carpet, furniture, and mattresses typically require 1-2 treatments. Concrete, wood, tile, and other hard surfaces usually need 3-5 treatments (1 treatment per day).
  • For concrete and other hard surfaces, you want to make enough of the recipe to completely cover the stain. Pour or spray the solution on and let it soak. Do not mop or wipe up. Let it sit for 24 hours (depending on the humidity level, it will usually evaporate during this time). Repeat the treatment once a day for 3-5 days.

• For mattresses, the best thing to do is to make a double, triple, or even quadruple batch of the recipe, enough to completely cover the stain and then really pour it on. Don't be afraid of saturating the mattress. The urine has gone deep into the mattress, so you need to make sure that there's enough solution to go deep into the mattress as well. The solution has to reach the urine to neutralize it. We recommend treating the mattress in the morning so that the solution can work through the day. The mattress will often be dry enough for use by bedtime. (03/12/2010)

By ahastings7878

How do I get urine stains off tile floors in bathroom?

Don from Youngstown, OH

Answers:

Removing Urine Stains on Tile Floor

I use "The Works" tub and shower cleaner on everything especially hard to get out stains. Try it, it is sold at the dollar store, too. They even have a toilet bowl cleaner. Never ever mix with other cleaners, it has a phosphoric acid in it. Works on everything even laundry hard stains. (12/03/2007)

By KimmyLynn

Removing Urine Stains on Tile Floor

Make sure that what ever you use, that you scrub it well with a brush (tooth brush) to get down into the surrounding area around the stain too. (12/05/2007)

By Paula Jo from Mebane, NC