Cleaning Pet Urine Stains and Odors From a Tile Floor

Removing urine stains and odors from flooring can be a challenge. This guide is about cleaning pet urine stains and odors from a tile floor.

cat on a tile floor
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 3, 2016 Flag

When using floor cleaner (non ammonia) or just water to wash tiles, an dog urine smell results. There is no smell from them until washed. Our dog is now a few years old and outside, so this comes from a few years ago. How do I stop this odor?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 14, 2015 Flag

I have ceramic tile in my kitchen and dark carpet in other parts of my home. I can't see the where the pets pee on the carpet unless I see them. What can I use to clean tile and remove stains and clean the carpet to get rid of the odor?

Hello,

Use an ENZYME based pet odor and stain remover. I've used a few brands, they all have worked. Find it on Amazon or your local stores...any store that sells cleaning product should carry it.

Also, you can use a blacklight to find stains on your dark carpet. The urine will fluoresce.

Good luck!

September 21, 2005 Flag

I have a Florida room that I keep my 4 (don't ask) little dogs in at night. The floor is tile and I have to mop the floor every day. What is the best way to mop this floor that will neutralize the smell?

Also, does anyone know, what is the best way to keep the dogs from "using" the floor of this room as their potty? They have a doggie door that takes them right to their dog pen. Should I try taking their food and water away from them at night or what?

I am at my wits end. I love them all but the constant cleaning is killing me. They are all adopted so I will not get rid of any of them as they are my babies.

TIA
      Cookiepom

The grout on your tile floors is where the residual smell remains. If you were able to totally clean it, you could, in theory, seal your grout and then the smell would be gone.

I know nothing about training dogs, but I'm assume you'll have to do both.

It sounds like this has been occuring for quite awhile, and I doubt there is a way to entirely remove the smell from the grout. The best solution is to remove the grout and re-grout the room. This is something you can do yourself if you have patience. Any home improvement store will have the necessary tools. If you are really patient, I reccommend an epoxy grout. This grout resists stains and spills much more than a regular grout and never needs to be sealed. The downside, is that it takes more time and care when grouting.

I don't have the answers, but I am also in the same boat as you are and am looking for some good tips. If you find any answers, please let me know! Thanks so much.

I have five pitbulls a pug and two chihuahuas in my house I have no children so they are my babies. I had some trouble at my old house but there is stuff that you can buy on the t.v. called urine be gone. IT WORKS GREAT since I have moved I have made it a rule to take them out about 6 times a day and leave them out for about 20 minutes each time. Now they tell me when they need to go outside. It took me about two months to perfect it but it is so worth it.

Agree with the poster who mentioned crating your furbabies at night; they will probably protest at first, but it sure beats mopping up urine all over the place every morning.

See you're from the South, too-- Publix has a really inexpensive product in the pet food aisle called Pet Select PEE-PEE; it comes in a fairly large bottle and is for odor and stain removal.

We picked this up--not for my dog, thank heaven-- when a friend's dog came over and puddled all over the place. Worked great!

Dependent upon how big that room is, I'd pick up a couple of bottles ( under $20), block the dogs' access to the floor, spread it full-strength on it so it seeps into the grout and let it sit for about a half-hour.

Mop that up and then follow the bottle directions and mop again and rinse.

This stuff really is excellent and I've also used it as a stain pre-treat for normal laundry!

Read More Answers...

April 16, 2010 Flag

I would like to know how to remove pet urine stains and smells on tile floors without taking up the old floors and having them redone.

By Lanissa from Gulfport, MS

Hello, I have found that urine is a tough one to remove because if the animal can still smell just a little bit of it they tend to go back to the same spot again. There are several expensive ways to go such as Zero Odor and then some slightly less expensive products made by Arm and Hammer that I do endorse as working pretty good. I use some of the Arm and Hammer products myself and at times I have used a little bit of Clorox and water or pine-sol and water and I have not had any fading as of yet but I do stress little bit on the Clorox.

I started using the bleach tablets that you drop in a gallon of warm water as a disinfectant and I have to say that I am impressed. They work great and I even got some on my shirt one day and took it off quickly and rinsed it out and it didn't even fade my shirt & believe me I have done that many times in the past trying to use the bleach in the bottle.

One other really great idea for the urine odor that works great if you can do it, is to keep the door closed or if its not a cat you can put up a child's gate to the room for about a month or so and I know that this sounds like a lot o trouble but believe me it really does work. It gives the floor time to rid itself of the scent. When I first read that one, I thought it was nuts, but it actually turned out to be one of the best ideas for urine problem areas. Good luck.

Try soaking a rag in white vinegar, and putting it on the stains to soak for several hours or overnight, rewetting the rag if needed. Then wipe clean. This has worked for me. Apparently acetic acid is stronger than uric acid. Kaboom bathroom cleaner( the one that turns from blue to white when the surface is clean) also seems to work well on cereamic tile around the toilet.

February 4, 2012 Flag

How can I remove urine stains from a tile floor?

By Doreen from A. from Santa Ana, CA

Denture Tablet with hot water, let it sit for a while or overnight. Then wipe clean.

June 6, 2010 Flag

How do I get the smell of animal urine off tile flooring?

By Kayr

I don't know about cat urine, but someone on this site recommended Suave Juicy Green Apple shampoo to get human urine smells off and out of ceramic tile around a commode.

I don't have ceramic tile, but bought it anyway in case we get them someday.

I don't know where you live but here are the details for Suave:

www.suave.com

1-800-782-8301

distributed by Unilever

Chicago, Illinois 60601, USA

Lots of luck!

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsFebruary 25, 2013
      Dog Urinating Outdoors
      Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
      Cleaning Tile Floors, Textured blue floor tile.
      Cleaning Textured Flooring
      Cleaning Dirty Tile
      Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
      cleaning products on a floor
      Cleaning Pet Urine Odors on Floors
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 25, 2016 at 8:03:14 AM on 10.0.2.111 in 543 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.