AdviceToddler and Preschooler

Helping Children Who Are Afraid of Animals

My son, 2 and my daughter who will be 4 in Nov., are afraid of all animals, especially those on 4 legs. We had an outdoor cat when my daughter was 2 and my son was around 4/6 months. Then we moved and had to get rid of it.

My daughter has had no experiences that would cause her to be afraid of animals and my son is reading her reactions. My husband and I love animals, and would love, given the opportunity, to get at least a dog. (Personally, I'd love to have a bit of acreage and have dogs, cats, rabbits, etc.)

How can I get my kids to not be afraid of animals and eventually start enjoying them when the only friends or family we have with pets live 1 hour or more away? It's getting to be too much with both of them freaking out and wanting to be held when it's just me with them.

By Jessica

Answers

I was the same way when I was young and I wish someone would of brought me where their was lazy dogs and cats so I could get use to them but everyone wanted me to meet some young one who wanted to play and that didn't help me at all. I would tell all my friends how scared I was and they help me. Tell them the dogs can't talk but when they bark their saying I like you. Good luck.