Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Decorating a Church Sanctuary (Gym) for Easter Sunday

We are utilizing a gym for a Sanctuary at this time and the walls are 1/2 particle board(beige) and the other 1/2 is chicken wire. We have fairly high ceilings (of course). We do have a stage with a choir loft so there is potential but I am at a loss for ideas and have a very small budget.

Nancy from Grand Saline, Tx

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Joy Bell02/08/2010

What about using fabric, suspended from the ceiling over the stage draped over back and sides. Or how about tall empty tree branches (maybe 8-12feet high) you can have them free standing by cementing them into a 5 gal bucket, or simply screw them to the stage sides or walls. you could glue on small blooms from cheap dollar store silks so the branches look like flowering cherry branches, or use real ones if they are in bloom, just cut lots of branches.

By Debbie (Guest Post)06/08/2008

We are still a new church with minimum budget. I have some fake plants on stage now. But look dull.
Pastor allergic to most live plants. Want to use color and lights! Please, help with ideas.
God bless.
dmcdowell919 @ aol...com

By Kay (Guest Post)03/09/2008

For a gym used as a sanctuary? What about draping off the front of the stage/platform with black material strung/stapled from a cable attached to each side of the gym. You can check Hancock or Walmart for their sale material. Make sure the black material is not too thin that you can see through it. Make a cross out of weathered wood as tall as you desire( Usually 7ft. tall).

Mount the cross on a stand and drape the cross with purple and royal blue satin material. Us push pins to adhere a corner of each color material from one arm of the cross extended down across the bottom of the cross and attach to the side of the bottom stand. Intertwine the blue and purple loosely and place a crown of thorns where the two boards meet in the middle. Use a yard spot light, low wattage, and allow it to shine up (up lighting) from the bottom of the cross. This image is enough and the overwhelming emotions from the congregation says it all. Kay

By glen (Guest Post)02/28/2008

In the sanctuary on the communion table One year we had a white table cloth,we placeed in the center the crown of thorns (made out of a bush red bud I think it had very long thorns on it) Just wraped it around & around. layed it on the table with nails from railroad ties, with blood (red food coloring) sprinkled on the nails and the crown. It was very emotional when people came in to church that Easter morning. The pastor could hardly preach.

By (Guest Post)01/17/2008

We use a gymn as well for our sanctuary.Once a month I decorate 2 communion tables, one on each side of the gym/sanctuary. I'm using our tables again to decorate just before Easter. I keep the focus on the Cross centered on the table that sits on another 5inch metal stand to make it taller. Down in front of the Cross I decorate with:
A purple runner, purple candles, a Lamb (looking up at the Cross)a Lilly arrangement and bought online a Crown of Thorns that sits on top of the cross. I also had embroidered commercially a sign on the table runner that says, "WORTHY IS THE LAMB". I chose white (wedding)skirting to dress up the table and used another white tablecloth (smaller) in the middle to drape it better.
If you need more help here's my email. deb.arne AT wdt.edu

By (Guest Post)01/11/2008

Hi Nancy-
Try using old large cardboard pieces from boxes and duck taping them together on the backside to make an Extra Large Cross. Boxes are free from most stores as they must break them down to recycle. Duck tape from dollar store.
To Create a draped Red sash to hang on it (as he is Risen) make it a church project with meaning! Ask every member to bring in a used red/burgundy shirt.Cut shirts in strips and sew together. The sash will be a personal reflection of the hearts of the congregation.
If you want go a step further. Ask every member to write their prayer request to Christ and seal it in an envelope. You could pin the envelopes at the foot of the cross- where every prayer originates. I am sure the Priest/Pastor could incorporate a very meaningful message inregards to this.
Create a poster- HE IS RISEN out of big gold letters- fabric or painted cardboard.
Slightly down from the Cross, tape together a large rounded cardboard piece. Slightly crumple old christmas tissue paper or regular light-weight paper and tape to its surface- to make it bumpy. Spray paint it gray like a rock. Place this in front of- you guessed it- a cardboard created/painted opening of a tomb.
But mostly my advice- Pray! He will definitely give you a vision of what the hearts of the people will be in need of this upcoming Easter morning.
I pray He leads and guides you in your endeavor to Lift His Name and Glorify Him this Easter!
Blessings!

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)01/10/2008

I wouldnt change the gym from regular Sunday worship services. I'd merely add some Easter lilies and other spring flowers that might be donated. I like tulips and hyacinths. Any type of plants like ferns or potted trees, etc keep the mood close to nature and prevent it from looking gaudy and cheap. Plants can be Christian symbols. You might want to talk to your Pastor about it.

By Kim [1]01/07/2008

opps apparently i cant type if you need any other help email me KimmyLynn2u2 AT aol.com

By Kim [1]01/07/2008

what about twinkle lights and some garland flowers from the dollar store intertwine them where ever you can sounds like ceilings are too high could you use pieces of lattice to stand behind stage and wire through the flowers and lights maybe some cheap baskets with flowers!!! check all the thrift and dollar stores i thrift for everything when i am decorating i did make these tyhings for a spring show once with dollar store terra cotta pots ipainted and i found these butterfilies on a wooden dowel there i stood them in stryofoam and then decorzted around bottonm of the sticks in the pot with flowers all spring like so it was a butterfly topiary made 4 for the stage they werent expensive also ask on free cycle for old silk flowers or pots all can be doner cheap and some free hope that helps!!!!