Homemade Humidifier Water Treatments

My humidifier uses wick filters and I'm replacing the filter every 2-3 weeks. I've tried various water treatment solutions, but they're expensive too. Can anyone please recommend solutions which don't involve spending a lot or which use common household ingredients and not a number of questionable chemicals? Our water is reasonably hard and fluoridated. Thanks kindly.

Rose Anne from Calgary, Alberta

I would like to know the answer to this too. I bought a brand new humidifier and after 2 weeks, the filter is hard and will not put out any mist. We have hard well water also. I have bought so many filters that I am not willing to do it anymore

Soften your water a little...use liquid calgon in it. It's a water softener.

Don't know cause I haven't dealt with this but couldn't you put a water filter on your sink faucet and use that water in your humidifier?

First, see if you cant' make a filter out of the same thing the furnace uses. I used to make my own vacuum cleaner filters that way, but I'm not sure it it would work with moisture.

Most of the time I've found that cleaning the filters in a mild beach or vinegar water will clean them. I've elongated the life of my filters three-fold by doing this.

NEVER COMBINE BLEACH AND VINEGAR! Toxic fumes can develop. It is hazardous to your health to inhale chlorine bleach.

I use bleach and water to soak the filters about once every ten days. Make sure you use gloves, and don't squeeze the filters, just rinse them afterwards. It will have a slight bleach smell for a day, but it will give the filter about six months of lifespan. I've also heard citric acid is good for removing minerals, but have not tried it.

Anonymous

Home Depot makes tablets to treat the water in humidifiers and it's less than $2.

ONLY use distilled or R/O filtered water which TDS tests to zero. And you'd be bette off if you would switch to an ultrasonic-type humidifier then you could clean weekly with bleach or vinegar. With ultrasonic type they require no filters.

It is the water scale that hardens the wick (filter) and inhibits water absorption and evaporation. Wick type evaporative humidifiers need two additives to the water: one to inhibit water scale buildup on the filter (wick), and a another to stop mold and bacteria buildup (Bacteriostat). Amazingly, both are rarely sold where they sell humidifiers. All carry Bacteriostat products in either liquid of pellet form. It's the water scale buildup liquid that is hard to find. There are several 2-in-1 products that do both. I'm using Vista Solutions Golden Solution II Combination available on Amazon. Also there is Holmes® SOL2014C-U 2 in 1 Water Solution. Sunbeam S1706 is a water scale treatment, but it's getting hard to find. I've been running two portable 1.5 Gal humidifiers in my home in the winter for 3 years now. 1 32oz bottle lasts me for 2 years or so.