TravelTravel and Recreation

Traveling to Georgia and South Carolina

My husband and I would like to take a quick trip to Atlanta, Savannah, and the Charleston area, and I mean quick. We are from the Chicago area so we need to consider driving time. What are some "musts" we must see or do while in that part of the country, main attractions, events, etc. The only time available that we have is the end of March. Thanks for any suggestions.

By Bonnie

In Charleston: Tour the Battleship and Fort Sumter. Take a long walk around The Battery and enjoy the old homes. Take a horse carriage to the Straw Market and shop. I hope this helps. I live in Myrtle Beach and it has been a few years since I have been to Charleston.

Atlanta: World of Coke, Aquarium, CNN and Centennial Park (all in the same city block so easy to see in a couple of days). If there's time go to History Center, Cyclorama, King Center...

From a mileage map I have the distance is 674 miles so that should make it easier to figure drive time. Also, if you or someone you know are members of AAA they can supply you with a book on those areas you have choosen to visit. They have a lot of useful information. You can also go to google and type in the cities you will be visiting and there will be sites for visitors. And lasty, if there is a book store near you go to the travel section and browse through the travel section. They should have books on the cities you are planning to travel to.

Atlanta: to add to what bettinab answered: Stone Mountain is awesome. You can also see Margaret Mitchell's House which is in the approximate same area of World of Coke, etc. There are some gardens there, I can't remember the name. At World of Coke be sure and sample the "foreign" drinks - you will be surprised. In Savannah, see the ocean! Take a walking tour of the old houses area. Cross over the bridge to South Carolina.

Charleston is wonderful that time of year. Be sure to take a horse drawn carriage tour of historic Charleston and shop in the old slave market.