Having a Costume Birthday Party Other Than at Halloween

Okay, I didn't get to dress up for Halloween this year and my 17th birthday is at the end of November. Is it OK to have a costume party still? I don't want to be a freak.

By Samantha from Barton, MD

You can always have a costume party! You can even make it "green" by telling everyone to come in what they wore for Halloween & get one more wearing out of that costume.

It's your birthday. You can do whatever you want (within reason, and if it's okay with your folks!). I think a costume party would be fun, particularly as a teenager.

Oh, and happy birthday! My daughter's birthday is at the end of November, too. :-)

Yes, have fun, good luck.

Costume parties are a very old tradition. Before Halloween a costume party was very sophisticated. There are even movies where the main character is giving such a party. I think that a costume party is fun. A chance for everyone to be someone else. I think that's the part of Halloween that everyone loves. And I agree with pamphyila, you can give your guests another use for their costume, and if they didn't dress up because they felt that they were now too old for Halloween (no one is ever too old for Halloween) then your party is a great excuse for them to dress up.

I think that imagining what to be is as fun as the party itself. Go for it. Don't think of it as being a freak. Think of it as unique, something different. The norm is boring. Anyone can have a normal party; costumes are comfortable, fun and they add to the excitement of the party. I think it's a great idea. I may have one in March for my own birthday. Thanks for the idea.

I will be 50 on the 23rd & am having a costume party. Have always wanted to have one & this milestone is a good enough excuse, don't you think?

Call it a "Masquerade Party" or pick a theme (such as "movies", "plays", or "TV shows") and ask everyone to dress in those costumes. And ask them to make the costumes in as earth-friendly ways as possible - use common products, not store bought, to get across the character. The one who does the best job should get a special "prize" or special recognition!

Of course you're not a freak because you want a different birthday party!

By all means, go for the masquerade ball theme, or anything that sounds fun, and enjoy yourself!

Sure, why can't you have your party the way you want it? It's your birthday! You could even do a Mardi Gras theme if you don't want to re-do Hallowe'en ( or make it a Halloween II party. You can snag leftover Hallowe'en decorations for really cheap at all the stores now).

Holidays and Parties Parties BirthdayNovember 3, 2009
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Phantom Of The Opera Costume
Making a Batgirl Costume
Making a Ghostbusters Costume
Girl Dressed as a Nurse
Making a Nurse Costume
🎄
🍂