Chemically Straightened Hair is Damaged

I am 19 years old. When I was around 15 or 16 I had glossy silky hair, but now with time I have lost the volume of my hair. The colour of my hair is changed to light brown; this is because of my usage of straighteners and other hot treatments.

Now I want to get back to my normal hair. I stopped using hot tools on my hair which is not really working to get its condition better. So please give me few tips that might just work for me.

By meaow from India

If you're talking about hot treatments such as hair conditioners, well, that is not what is causing the change in your hair texture and/or color. As long as you quit using harsh chemicals, such as hair color or relaxers etc. your hair will stabilize over time. Please keep in mind that new hair growth is only about 1/2 inch a month so it's going to take awhile for the new healthy hair growth to show. In the meantime, be gentle to the damaged hair and keep in mind that hair is a dead appendage and you can only mask how the damaged hair looks. Just be gentle with your damaged hair from here on out. Get regular trims for split ends and keep it well conditioned.

Hot oil treatments. And if they still make it, a product called Cholesterol (for hair) made by Salon Care. Try finding it at a beauty supply store. Leave it in for an hour and put a shower cap on before washing. Clairol "Condition" and Infusium 23. Good luck!

Sometimes your hair just needs rest, you should give it a rest from products for a couple days. Also, getting a trim will help too if you have split ends. But all you can really do is lay off the straighteners and love your hair.

September 16, 2010 Flag

I got my hair chemically straightened. For a while it was great. Now it's dry tangles easy, and when I wash it it gets matted even after conditioning. Then I spray it with stay-in conditioner and apply serum for drying. It still looks like dolls hair. Please help.

By mizz_rosa01 from Melbourne, Australia

Chemically Straightened Hair is Damaged

It is definitely going to take some time for your hair to come back to its natural state before the chemical treatment.
Keep on using the conditioner and regularly get your hair cut. You will probably have to live with it for a while, but it's not forever. (06/26/2009)

Chemically Straightened Hair is Damaged

Do a deep conditioning treatment over night. Put a towel on your pillow and slather mayo all over your hair, and then put Saran Wrap, (very important) around your hair, and make it a tight fit. Then tie a plastic grocery bag around your hair, then put a towel around your hair and go to bed for the night or for 3 hours which ever comes first. It will get warm and will deep condition. I love doing this. When you are ready to get up or 3 hours has passed, then rinse with warm water at first and then once it is wet enough to lather wash it with some shampoo. It might take two shampoos which I usually do. I love the softness. It is amazing. Do this as often as you need to. (06/28/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Chemically Straightened Hair is Damaged

Your post didn't mention race so I'm going to assume that because you chemically straightened your hair that you used a relaxer and are possibly Black. The deep conditioning with mayo was a great idea. If you have breakage, also try a deep conditioning Aphogee treatment which is available at most beauty supply stores. It's a bit pricey and smells horrible, but stops any breakage and the moisturizing 2nd step does a great job at restoring moisture. I would also recommend you consider replacing your shampoo and conditioner with products that baby chemically treated hair. Pantene's Relaxed and Natural line is a good one. And last but not least, hot oil treatments after every shampoo. Perhaps your hair texture wasn't suited to a relaxer or your expectations weren't in line with what the process does.

Most black women that use relaxers are going for the "baby doll" hair look. And as another poster said, be patient. It will take time to grow out the process and dealing with the new growth will be frustrating, but it can be done. Oh, and if you liked the initial texture, it's possible you just used a relaxer that was too strong for your hair. You may need a gentle or regular if you used super. Or you may need a "lye" instead of a "no-lye". I can't use no-lye relaxers because of the very problem you describe: it dries my hair out horribly and changes the texture in ways I don't like. You may have to experiment with different types and strengths to get it right. Hope this helped! (06/29/2009)

By tekiebelu

Chemically Straightened Hair is Damaged

Coconut oil is a wonderful deep conditioning treatment for dry hair. Slather it on, then comb it through, and wear a plastic conditioning cap for an hour or so. Then shampoo and condition as usual. The shampoo won't lather a lot because of the oil on the hair, but that's OK. It's still doing its job, and if you condition afterward, there's no need for a second lathering. (06/30/2009)

By chretienne

Chemically Straightened Hair is Damaged

I had chemically straightened hair for 3 years, and my hair ended up like dry doll's hair as well, breaking all over the place, frizzy, etc.
What worked for me was to get a very good haircut, keep it trimmed regularly, use very good conditioner, home treatments mentioned above work great, I did most of them. Try to stay away from the hairdryer/flatiron as much as possible, air drying is the best thing. I know the haircut part sounds drastic, but it will be worth it, remember, it's only hair, it will grow back, mine did, and it looks so much better. (07/06/2009)

By scottishfairy

Chemically Straightened Hair is Damaged

About the only thing you can do is cut it off short because the hair is fried when you cut it off it will grow out again and stay away from perms they are the worst for hair just buy some good rollers and roll your hair the old fashioned way will save you a lot of headaches and hair loss in the future. (07/10/2009)

By yard_sale_annie

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips DamagedSeptember 16, 2010
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Girl with Long Hair in Swimming Pool
Preventing Damaged Hair From Swimming Pools
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink