How Do I Grow Onions from Discarded Bottoms?

I found the instructions of how to plant onions from discarded bottoms. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I will try again. Has anybody had luck with it?

Ayaoba

Showing: Answers Sort

By kathleen williams 76 1,661 Flag

step 1Materials

You will need: Onion Clean Knife Cutting Board Starter Pot with Potting Soil (optional)

tep 2Slice Off Onion Bottom

Chop off the onion bottom with all the roots still intact. The more of a bottom you leave on, the better. Try for 1.5-2 inches of attached "meat". Allow to dry for a few hours to a couple days in a shaded, well-ventilated area to allow for callousing. Note: You might only need a few hours for callousing. If the cut portions are dry to the touch and slightly shriveled

tep 3Potting

Fill the starter pot 2/3 of the way full and compact. Create an indentation in the center to cradle the onion bottom and allow for good soil contact. Cover with 1-2 inches of soil. Water as needed. Note: You can skip the starter pot if you can't be bothered and plant it directly in the ground.

tep 4Finish

Once the onion bottom has developed a few leaves, remove from the pot. Remove old onion scales. Separate plants as needed by slicing between plants and leaving a portion of the roots attached. You may have more than 1 plant develop from a single onion bottom. Replant in a prepared growing bed. Cut leaves down to 1/3 of the size to allow the bulb to develop. good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By tx 4 9 Flag

Ive never grown onions from seeds or bottoms, but we love "green onions" for salad, baked potatoes, etc. When I find one of my store bought yellow onions sprouting I plant the entire onion, leaving the sprout on top of soil in flower pot. In just couple weeks grows wonderful long "green onion stem" that I just cut the needed amount that day and enjoy. I set it on my deck in full sun and water just like my flowers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Sprouting Garlic
Grocery Store Gardening
Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodMay 21, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Old Dresser
Recycling an Old Dresser
Belt on White Background
Craft Uses For Belts
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Sprouting Garlic
Grocery Store Gardening
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 9:32:25 AM on 10.0.1.111 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings