Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How Do I Grow Onions from Discarded Bottoms?

I found the instructions of how to plant onions from discarded bottoms. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I will try again. Has anybody had luck with it?

Ayaoba

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By tx [2]05/26/2010

Ive never grown onions from seeds or bottoms, but we love "green onions" for salad, baked potatoes, etc. When I find one of my store bought yellow onions sprouting I plant the entire onion, leaving the sprout on top of soil in flower pot. In just couple weeks grows wonderful long "green onion stem" that I just cut the needed amount that day and enjoy. I set it on my deck in full sun and water just like my flowers.

By kathleen williams [23]05/21/2010

step 1Materials
You will need: Onion Clean Knife Cutting Board Starter Pot with Potting Soil (optional)

step 2Slice Off Onion Bottom
Chop off the onion bottom with all the roots still intact. The more of a bottom you leave on, the better. Try for 1.5-2 inches of attached "meat". Allow to dry for a few hours to a couple days in a shaded, well-ventilated area to allow for callousing. Note: You might only need a few hours for callousing. If the cut portions are dry to the touch and slightly shriveled

step 3Potting
Fill the starter pot 2/3 of the way full and compact. Create an indentation in the center to cradle the onion bottom and allow for good soil contact. Cover with 1-2 inches of soil. Water as needed. Note: You can skip the starter pot if you can't be bothered and plant it directly in the ground.

step 4Finish
Once the onion bottom has developed a few leaves, remove from the pot. Remove old onion scales. Separate plants as needed by slicing between plants and leaving a portion of the roots attached. You may have more than 1 plant develop from a single onion bottom. Replant in a prepared growing bed. Cut leaves down to 1/3 of the size to allow the bulb to develop. good luck.