I strongly dislike the smell of cabbage cooking but it's worth it for this tasty Irish side dish.
- 1 lb. cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup water
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large saucepan, bring cabbage and water to a boil. Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Drain but reserve the cooking liquid. Keep cabbage warm.
- Place cooking liquid and potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough additional water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, bring milk and onions to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Mash the potatoes in a large serving bowl. Add milk mixture and beat until blended. Beat in the cabbage and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with the melted butter and parsley and serve.
By Deeli from Richland, WA
March 13, 20100 found this helpful
I never knew what colcannon was, this sounds REALLY good & I'm definately going to make some. Question though-why can't you just cut the potatoes a little smaller & cook them at the same time with the cabbage & then drain? Doesn't seem like it would make a difference,except to speed thing up?
March 15, 20100 found this helpful
You have to cook them separately because the potatoes need to be 'mashed' with milk and onions before adding back in to the cooked 'shredded' cabbage. I suppose you could try cooking potatoes and cabbage together and mash together with milk and onions but then you would just have a mushed mess and not a full bodied traditional Irish Colcannon ;-)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on November 18, 2016 at 11:50:44 AM on 10.0.2.205 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us