Drilling Glass

Can someone tell me of a tool that will make a hole in a glass jar for wiring a light? The drill bit tools don't work. Or can I buy jars with a hole in them already? Please help.

By Donna

If you go to a community college in your area that teaches stained glass, the instructor can help you drill a hole in glass for a minimal fee. They have the tools and know how on this subject. Otherwise, look for stained glass cutting tools on the 'net for hole drilling. Buying the tool will be more costly.

You might also try a glass company in your area. They work with glass and may have the tools you need.

You need a diamond drill bit. There are several sizes, just depends on what you are going to put through the hole. I make night lights with very small wine bottles, drill a hold about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the glass on one side and then stuff a 25 light string in the bottle. They burn very cool and I never turn them off. The LED lights may even be better, just can't find a small enough string for my needs. Good luck!

You can purchase glass drills. They have a rounded point. I dipped mine in oil and went slowly. Careful not to break through as that will crack your glass. Check the web to see what they look like. You may have to purchase them there also.