Repairing a Mirror

Is There a paint or something to resilver a mirror? I have an OLD beautiful frame but the miror needs help.

Thanks,
Anne from Lewiston Maine

I know that a lot of "furniture refinishing shops" can resilver mirrors. If it is not important to you to keep the original mirror, you can have a new one cut for you at most glass shops for pretty cheap.

Call a glass shop. They can be resilvered, but I don't know if it is a do-it-yourself kind of job.

Before you get that done, you may wish to find out if what you have is an antique. Something that is worth money in the current condition could be "ruined" if redone. Or just leave it splotchy because you like it that way. Or ask that glass shop if they can put in a new mirror. Good Luck!

While you are deciding whether or not to have it professionally restored, you can try a make-shift fix using aluminum foil. Simply lay the foil across the back of the mirror, shiney side facing the glass, or cut into small pieces to cover the bad spots. You may even find that, if you are using the mirror strictly for decorative purposes, you may not have to have it restored at all.

August 8, 2011 Flag

How can I cover the edge of an arched bathroom mirror that has been damaged by condensation?

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know the answer to that I had a bath mirror that was ruined on the bottom by water when I moved into this house years ago. It was about an inch high and ran across the bottom. It was a very large and wide mirror and costly to replace. I called a glass company and asked if they could cut down a mirror. I did have to take it in and pick up but it was worth the effort it very inexpensive and they did a perfect job of cutting it. It still hangs in the bathroom and it is an inch shorter but no one can tell it was cut down.

Home and Garden Repair FurnitureApril 7, 2006
Mirror
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Mirror
shell mirrors
Making a Seashell Mirror
Making a Googly Eye Mirror
Making a Googly Eye Mirror
Decorating a Mirror
Decorating a Mirror
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 5:16:50 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.