Painting a Serving Tray

I bought a restaurant size baking sheet from the thrift store in hopes of turning it into a large serving tray. The plan was to decoupage pictures of family and friends onto it, or just spray paint it and lacquer it. My question is, would it be safe to eat food that was left on the lacquer/paint? Anyone know of a safe product to use and/or alternative ways of making this idea work? Thanks.

Cynthia from Centre, AL

One way of making a dish or tray food safe is to put a paper doily on the tray under the food. This works well for dry foods or snacks. Most craft painted dishes are not safe to eat on for fear of cutting through the top coat and leaving a slice for bacteria to grow. What I have done for some things like a clear glass butter dish I painted on the underneath side so that it does not touch any food. You have to practice painting in reverse and in layers to make it work though.

I would think that using a spray acrylic would protect the tray and your food.

I also have painted on baking tray's and also TV tray's, I go to a glass store and take the item with me so they can measure it and have them cut a piece of pixie glass(plastic) for it and then you can use it and also see the painting or pictures thru it. I have given these as gifts and the people love it because they can actually use it.

Phyllis

Roseburg, Oregon

Thank you for the suggestions! Looks like I will be buying a couple more "trays" to try them out.

Home Depot has a food grade polyurethane that you can use to coat the top of the surface that is going to be eaten on. We have used it when remodeling our counter tops in the kitchen. Works great, just follow the directions on the container.

Laura

Crafts AdviceNovember 28, 2008
veggie plate
Making a Vegetable Party Tray
DVD Player
DVD Player Tray Won't Open
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
A green decorative tray painted with gold leaves.
Making a Painted Wooden Tray
🎉
🎄