Removing Cat Urine Smell From Car Interior

How do you get cat pee scent out of the car on back of the seat?

By Ryan

Once you have cleaned the upholstery, spinkle baking soda on the dry upholstery and let it sit a few days. Then, when you can leave the car closed up for a day or two (especially if it will be sunny), pour some dry, unused coffee grounds into shallow dishes, and put them in the car, then close it up tightly; a day or two is great, if you can. Vacuum the baking soda, and let the car air out. Hopefully it will take care of it.

You might also check the pet store; they sell enzymatic products that you put on and let dry (like Febreeze), but that are specially formulated for pet urine.

April 11, 2010 Flag

What is the name of the product that was used to get rid of cat urine smell in car? I left my skylight open during a rain and my car smells awful.

By Lynn from SC

I was told to try rubbing alcohol and water in a spray bottle. I mixed it strong and sprayed down the area and wiped up with rags. It's cheap and it works great. The alcohol kills the bacteria that causes the odor. Although I used it for dog odor it would be worth a try. (11/14/2009)

By moshierdi

Natures Miracle for cats; the orange bottle, found at PetSmart and some other stores. Research this on-line. They have a wonderful site, with a site for discussions that are helpful. I have also had luck with Oxiclean on my indoor carpeting. (11/26/2009)

By ballovescats

November 13, 2009 Flag

My male cat had an accident and peed in his carrier while in my car. The car now reeks of the odor and car fresheners just aren't doing much to help. Can anyone recommend what I can use to rid my car of the stench? Thanks.

Bonnie from Tuckerton, NJ

I've had a problem with my male cat spraying for a while now and an effective way to get rid of the smell is Arm and Hammer pet odor spray. It's in a yellow spray bottle, and really works. Baking soda does wonders also. Just sprinkle it where the urine is and let it sit for a day or so then vacuum it up. It should get rid of the smell. It's very inexpensive too, only a few dollars for the spray and a dollar or so for the baking soda. I usually have the best luck finding the spray at Walmart, anyway I hope you take my advice and try it out. (04/29/2008)

By Crystal

Here's a great recipe for cleaning and permanently removing cat urine, other pet stains, and odors:

To clean up pet urine:

Start by first cleaning the area with a vinegar-water solution: Use 2 -3 parts water mixed with 1 part vinegar. (It's easiest to put this mixture in a well marked spray bottle.) Clean and blot, with a white towel or white rag.

*** A side note: Never use ammonia to clean up cat or dog urine. Because cats and dogs will be attracted right back to that same spot to go again, since all urine is so strong in ammonia, this "fools the pets nose".

Next: and this is the most important step:

Buy "OUT!" brand pet odor neutralizer at Walmart, it works by "eating" organic stains and odors by using "good bacteria and enzymes" it cost only $4.79. You can use any brand of pet odor and stain remover as long as it says "Cleans with Enzymes" on the bottle.

The main trick is to keep the "OUT!" wet so the good bacteria and enzymes stay "alive" by covering the area with plastic wrap or an unused plastic garbage bag. Do not blow dry area as this will kill the good bacteria that "eat" the stain and smell. "Out!" smells like yummy vanilla, which is nice.

The second day: Repeat the application of the "OUT!" product and re-cover with plastic.

The third day: Pour plain old drugstore hydrogen peroxide on the area and let it fizz and bubble up anything that's left. Do this and I can bet your pet urine smell will disappear.
Be careful to pre-test the carpet in a discreet area before using the hydrogen peroxide, just to make sure the carpet won't fade. I've use peroxide many, many times to clean spots on my carpet and upholstery and it's never hurt my carpet, upholstery or any clothes fabric.

Peroxide works to remove any organic stain (that means it will remove grape juice which is natural, but not grape Jell-O or grape Kool-aid which is artificial, anyway, you get the idea.) Peroxide will also remove blood, coffee, and hot chocolate. Peroxide is a totally amazing stain remover. It works by using oxygen to "fizz out" the stain. Simple, but effective. * Do "not" use the stronger peroxide that women bleach their hair with. Use the cheap 59 cents peroxide that is sold in grocery and drug store's "first-aid" aisle.

Make sure to do the above steps in the exact order I suggested, because if you use the peroxide before the "OUT!" then the peroxide may kill the good bacteria and enzymes. Also, If you don't have the time, you can skip the vinegar step. But if you really want to make sure you get out all of the odor and stain, then follow all the above steps because they are all important. Any one of the steps posted above will work, but all together, they work even better. (04/30/2008)

By Cyinda

I have cat spray in the car. All I used was Nature's Miracle and it worked. I used it two days in a row. (05/01/2008)

By Har'iet

Removing Cat Urine Smell From sofa

I had this this terrible cat that constantly would mark his territory. He sprayed urine on the cushion of the sofa. I used a combination of carpet deodorizer (powder) for pets and baking soda, and let it sit there for about a week, and then vacuumed, and then reapplied it, waited and vacuumed again. By the third time I couldn't smell it at all. (10/02/2008)

By D.O.

big cat in a car
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsApril 11, 2010
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Seats in a car
Cleaning Urine on Car Upholstery
Paint Cans with Color Spectrum and Brushes
Saving Money on Paint (Interior)
Man Cleaning Car Interior
Cleaning Your Car's Interior