How Do I Make a Playstand for a Cockatiel?

Does anyone have a really neat idea for a homemade playstand for cockatiels?

By Becky from Salisbury, MD

I saw this tip on TV once and your request remiinded me of it.

It said to go outside and cut off different sizes and shapes of branches from a tree. They don't have to be real big around or very long. But they should be different sizes around to give the bird different size perches like he would have in the wild.

But you can attach the branches to a board or whatever you decide to use then attach the board to a base. If it was me I'd put a board on either side of a good sized window with the branches going in front of the window and some more inward, away from the window. You could stain the board to match your decor or cover it with wall paper or contact paper.

Good luck with your project tho! Wish I could do the same, but I'm afraid my cat would like the birdie addition to the family a little too much!

PVC pipe is like working with Tinkertoy--it's a blast. You just cut it and put together with the ready-made joints. You could build a basic structure (with ladders and perches) with the PVC; then add to it real wood branches (to chew), large jingle bells from the fabric store, bundles of knotted string to tear up, and any other playthings your bird likes. If you know a woodworker who can give you scraps of bird-safe wood, you could drill a hole in a piece, and hang it from the structure. You could tie strips of fabric for the bird to shred, as well. Avoid adding bells with an exposed clapper--many clappers are made of lead, and it can harm your bird if he/she chews on it.

Similarly, you could use dowels and glue--but do a google search to make sure the wood and glue are bird safe.

Also, if you do use branches from outside, be sure the trees have not been sprayed, or residue could harm your bird.

Thanks everyone, I will check into all these things.

I have a cat as well. In fact up until 2 years ago we had 2. One of them got sick and we couldn't help him. We have had 2 of the birds almost as long as the cat. They learned early on that the birds would not tolerate them coming into their territory. LOL! They will bite him. It's pretty comical. I think at this point the cat (Jared) is just part of the flock now.

Pets BirdsFebruary 14, 2011
Cockatiel Information and Photos
Making Soap on a Rope, Heart Shaped Soap on a Rope
Making Soap on a Rope
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Man with Pet Cockatiels
Caring for and Training a Pet Cockatiel