Wisconsin Christmas Charities

My family is in dire need for Christmas. This is our 2nd year for no presents under the tree. My husband lost his job after 26 years 2 years ago and is working a job for little wage and my unemployment will run out in March. We have 2 teenagers at home and we also lost our home to foreclosure. What help can I qualify for to give a gift to my children? Thank you.

By Annette from Appleton, WI

Your teen agers are old enough to understand the situation. However, if you have some cash coming in, you should be able to get each one of them something. WalMart has funky tees for under $10.00. It isn't the cost or the electronic type things that count, it is the thought that counts. I bought my granson a two piece gift set of deoderant and cologne for under $5.00 at WalMart. I think you are past the deadline to apply for Christmas help from the charities that do that type of thing. Most of these charaties also have income guidelines, and age limits of up to 18. A lot of things like the angel tree, etc. do for different organizations each year, anyway that is how they do it where I live. For instance there is a boys ranch close by that houses troubled boys and it is a very successful place, but some years the angel tree has serviced them, and this year there are three different trees of that type in different locations collecting for residents of area nursing homes. Try calling the Salvation Army and see if they are still taking applications, but here the applications for help is up 20% from last year and their donations are $300,000 less than last year. Also you could call 211, this is a national clearing house called HELPLINE, they keep a list of most of the places where people can get different types of help. I know from experience it is hard to find jobs, but my experience was age related, even though they say there isn't age discrimination, there is when a person checks back and the place has hired a "cute young thing." However, I am sure you could find a job, even if it isn't what you want.

Try the Salvation Army, NEWCAP if they are in the Fox Valley will be able to tell you where to go or get in touch with your own, or the nearest church. This is a Christian holiday and most churches are more than generous when it comes to helping out families in need. Redhetterb may be well intentioned but obviously doesn't know what the job situation is like in the valley nor that you would probably make less at a job than on unemployment. God bless and I hope that you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

Check with the Marines. I donated coke reward points to toys for tots tonight and they also listed toys for teens. The local recruiter should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Check with your local food pantry-they probably know where you can get help. Call your local chamber of commerce as well. God Bless! I understand what you are going through. I live near Madison and we declared bankruptcy this year as we are self-employed and customers are way down.

Check with your local church, if you have one. They often have an emergency fund they can help you with. Also, check out thrift shops for inexpensive novels, puzzles, games, and videos. Your local library usually also has books for sale. Maybe you could take dvds out at your local library and have a free holiday movie-a-thon. Your food pantry might be able to help - and maybe you could make a few giant cookies to give your teens for gifts. A free gift idea: Write each child a letter, something along the lines of "Ten Reasons I'm Glad You're My Child." Good luck, God Bless, and Merry Christmas.