Growing Strawberries in Containers

Category Container
Because of the trailing, spreading nature of many strawberry varieties they make good choices for container gardening. This is a guide about growing strawberries in containers.

Many varieties of strawberries grow wonderfully in containers, including barrels, drums, or bags. Many seed companies and garden centers offer pouches or bags, complete with plants, for growing them vertically on walls and fences.

Personally, I like them in hanging baskets. With their green leaves, red fruit, and delicate white flowers, they're actually quite pretty. And when the juicy red fruits cascade down the sides of the basket, they are practically screaming for you to come over the pick them.

Like the growing bags, baskets save on patio space and keep the fruit up off the ground and away from mold, insects, and birds (mostly). Another idea is to grow them in planter boxes attached to railings or under sunny windows.

When planting in containers:

Top Comment

My husband brought home a 55 gallon plastic barrel from work. We cleaned it out, cut holes in a spiral pattern from head to foot. We then used a gardening cloth to line the barrel to help keep the plants intact. As we filled it with potting soil, we kept adding strawberries to each cut out. When it bloomed, it was absolutely beautiful. We had strawberries all summer. On top, we planted a large Daliah. I love my barrel and it takes up very little space.

Park Seed has a great deal on 25 strawberry plants and "growin bags" The plants are actually planted in these bags and can hang on a porch or patio. Go to www.parkseed.com and search strawberries. May not be what you are looking for but it sure would be a space saver!

thank you....talked to my momma earlier, she said just use the starters, regular strawberries won't start them! I will look into these, and maybe just save up for the "patio" variety.

My uncle grows strawberries and they are wonderful...but he smokes. Did you know if you are a smoker and you touch the berries they do not grow properly? They tend to over rippen too easily....and they get "bad spots" where you touched them.

Just one of those trivial things!-Misty

I was reading on how to season cast iron skillets, lost power for a bit and now cannot find the recipes, help. Thanks!