Wrinkled Prom Dress

I am new to this but I have a prom dress that I wore to my senior prom and am using it for another prom. My mother mailed it to me and the bottom half is now wrinkled. I don't wanna pay to get it cleaned just for them to remove the wrinkles. The dress is polyester nylon and acetate. It says professional spot clean only and no direct heat or steam. How can I just touch it up and remove the wrinkles without having to pay an arm and a leg? Please someone help me. Thank you!

Brittyv from Honolulu, Hawaii

Best Answer

The spray wrinkle removers are great. Downy has one called Wrinkle Release. Just spray and then smooth fabrick with your hands while its still damp. The moisture spray doesn't hurt the fabric at all. Try it.

Best Answer

Try putting the dress in a dryer on air or the coolest setting possible with a wrung-out hand towel. Tumble for about 10 minutes and hang up immediately. Also, a dry cleaner/tailor shop can just press a garment without cleaning it.

Best Answer

I do professional alterations. Acetate is an awful fabric. You can't get it hot or wet. But, this is what I would try. Get a COTTON press cloth. You could use a tea towel or a pillowcase. You will need to use light steam and a low temp iron. Borrow a good iron that can steam on a low temp if you don't have one yourself. Our professional iron will do this. Some home models that may do it are by Rowenta. Try this on the most inconspicuous spot. The acetate will change colors - let it cool and it should be fine. The trick is you need pressure and steam. Be sure to TEST first. If you don't want to try this, you can get it "pressed only" (not cleaned) at a local dry cleaner or tailor. Have a safe and fun prom.

Are you saying that the nylon tulle (fluffy) part is wrinkled? You can use an extremely cool iron to de-wrinkle it, I'm a seamstress and have done this many times with my iron set on 1 or 2 (low, nylon/rayon setting, barely on). Too hot and you'll basically vaporize the tulle - it will melt into nothing, so be careful.

Good luck!

If you don't need to wear it today just clip the top of the dress to a hanger. When your bathroom is steamy (after a bath or shower) just hang the dress in the bathroom. A day or two of hanging like that will eliminate a lot of wrinkles. Then if you DO have to press out a few bad wrinkles be absolutely sure that the iron is on the coolest setting. Test it on a hidden spot (like the inside of the hem) touch the iron on the fabric lightly and QUICKLY. Check to see that the heat isn't damaging the fabric.

You could also try a hair dryer.

If you do press , press on WRONG side of fabric, and be sure to use some kind of press cloth

I'd be afraid to use an iron to iron the dress after looking at the picture; however, have you tried to steam it? There are steam gizmo's out there that work great or you can use the steam setting on your iron and hold it up to the dress and move it up and down slowly without touching it. Good luck.

Most cleaners will do a 'press only' if you request it. I'm not sure of the cost but it is less than a full cleaning.

I hang my formal dresses from the ceiling in the smallest bathroom, over the tub, making certain that the spray from the shower cannot reach the fabric. I turn the water on "hot" fully, close the curtain, close the door, wait 8 minutes, and remove the gown. It is moist (It also is when I wear it in damp weather, after all), but perfectly unwrinkled. It has to be hung on a padded or plastic hanger to begin with, and as perfectly aligned as possible. After taking it down, hang it in an area that receives good air from all directions to fully dry without incurring any new wrinkles.

My daughter has worn her prom dress and she got food or something on the bottom of it that is noticable. She has another prom to go to this weekend and no time for a dry cleaning. I need some suggestions on how to clean the spots myself

will putting a prom dress in the dryer shrink it or ruin it?????

Well I had a prom dress and I didn't have to dryclean it. I just hung it on the back of the bathroom door every time I took a shower and then hung it in an open dry place and it eventually got out the wrinkles. If you don't have a lot of time you could try the sprays you can buy to get out wrinkles.

Prom Dress
Removing Wrinkles from a Prom Dress
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceApril 22, 2006
Closet full of prom dresses.
Planning a Prom Dress Re-Sale Event
Front of a wrinkled shirt.
Preventing Wrinkled Clothing
Three girls wearing prom dresses.
Saving Money on Prom Dresses
Red Prom Dress
Cleaning a Prom Dress
🎉
🎄