Mikey (Dachshund)

Mikey is our 13 year old dachshund. We are fostering Mikey for the local animal shelter. He needed a home or he would be put down because he was too old and sickly to adopt or go to a rescue group. He has been with us 8 months, when we got him the vet gave him 6 months tops.

He sleeps a lot but loves to chase and play with our other dogs and cats. He also likes to wrestle with our arms and hands when we hold him.

Mikey is one of many we have fostered, most are for several days or a weekend. He is a long-term foster and has been a delight. Hopefully more people will foster elderly dogs for their local shelters. Some are a little extra work but all are well worth the effort. And our teenagers love doing it, is like having a new pet every week!

How beautiful! I've never heard of fostering animals, but what a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing.

Good for you! I also adopted an old, infirm dog - a breeder's pekingnese who had gotten too old to breed and went blind. Pugsley also has heart problems, for which he gets three medications daily. He also sleeps a lot - guess it goes with the age - but he's a love and I adore him. My younger dog and cat seem to try to help me take care of him.

Our oldest is a 17+yo Maltese. He's nearly blind and stone deaf. His back legs are slowly going, so he eats layin down like a Sphinx.

He broke his back years ago, but got well from that, so the legs are slowly going this time.

We give him Deramaxx every morning, which really puts zip in his doo-dah. I have an old druggie for a dog.

Our 5yo Yorkie has to wait, since it takes about 15 minutes for the Maltese to get through the pet door. The Yorkie'll wait if we're there. If we aren't there, he'll nip the Maltese to encourage him along.

You are so very kind !!! On behalf of all unwanted critters everywhere --- I say THANK YOU ~!! THERE SHOULD BE MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU ! LOVE ROSE

What wonderful people you are! I'm sure Mikey knows that. May the God who watches over all creatures bless you tremendously.

Your family has a heart of gold.

It was very sweet of you to take care of him!

Photo of a Mini Dachshund by the water.
Dachshund Breed Information and Photos
Photos Pets DogsNovember 7, 2006
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mix
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mixed Breed Information and Photos
Dachshund/Pomeranian
Dachshund/Pomeranian Mix Photos
🎉
🎄