Recipe For Diabetic Angel Food Cake

I need a diabetic Angel food cake recipe. Can anyone help me?

Jay from Laurel, Delaware

Best Answer

I just bought a box of Splenda to use in baking for diabetics. It says you can substitute 1part Splenda for 1 part sugar. I don't see why you can't use it instead of sugar for your regular Angle Food cake recipe..

I also noticed at another grocery store a "sugar substitute for baking" product but I can't remember what it's called.

Angel Food Cake sounds good, I think I'll make one for my Seniors I work with at a nursing home.

Best Answer

You won't find a recipe for "diabetic" Angel Food Cake - it is made with highly processed white flour which is very high G.I. Diabetics need to eat complex carbohydrates such as wholemeal flour with added whole grains (such as multi-grain bread). This would be far too heavy for an Angel Food Cake. Just eliminating the sugar content is not enough.

Best Answer

Although angel food cake is a high glycemic food, it is the least problematic of the cakes. It is usually served without frosting and has absloutely no fat. Portion control is the way to go . Ask your nutritionist or diabetic educator how to work it into your eating plan for special occasions.

Best Answer

Sorry, you are not going to find a substitute for this. Make the Betty Crocker one and eat what would be measured for the unit you are allowed. The falacy of eating "diabetic or non-diabetic foods/candy" is not a funny subject. This is not how the diabetic teaching is now done. Even 'diabetic' foods have content that must be measured the same way as any food consumption. A carb, fat, protein all has the same calories no matter what food substance it is in. You learn to live within your calories and carbs allowed. By law, all items to be consumed/chewed must be labeled.

So if you truely want Angel Food Cake, then eat a small slice. An AFC cut into 12 pieces has 150 calories, 45 grams of carbs.

A slice of Country hearth w/w multigrain bread has 90 calories, 17 grams of carbs. For a slice of cake, think 3 slices of w/w multigrain bread. Then adjust your diet.

I am a diet controlled diabetic as well. Sometimes when we crave something, 1 single bite will be just as good as the whole piece. So I take 1 bite of things I crave!

Grandma J.

I use any cake recipe to make diabetic cakes for my husband and his diabetic friends. I use Altern, it is located next to Splenda at Wal-Mart, only it is lots cheaper. When using Altern or Splenda for cakes be sure to add 1/2 cup of powdered milk and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda per cup of Altern/Splenda. I even make them a syrup cake. I replace the 1 cup of sorgam/cain syrup with 1/4 cup sorgam/cain syrup, 1/4 cup sugar free honey, and 1/2 cup sugar free syrup. Taste just like the old timey syrup cake. DO NOT FORGET To add the 1/2 cup powdered milk and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda for each cup of altern/splenda in all cakes.

Regular angel food cake is allowed as an occasional food on a diabetic diet.

I want to thank all of you for your posts about the Angel Food Cake.

Thank You,

Jay

Fresh Salad
Diabetic Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CakesJuly 21, 2008
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Apple Pie
Diabetic Apple Pie Recipes
Making Diabetic Powdered Sugar (Sugar Free)
Angel Food Cake
Angel Food Cake Recipes
🎉
🎄