Installing a Window Air Conditioner

I have a window air conditioner that measures 20 inches in width X 14 inches high. However, the window I anticipate using for the installation is only 14 1/2 inches wide. What problems will it cause if I install the air conditioner vertically (sideways) instead of horizontally?

By Virginia from Brownsville, OR

Best Answer

You risk your compressor failing. It is a balanced mechanism and having it side ways will eventually cause problems. This may not be true with newer model AC units (I am not familiar with any technological break throughs, if there are any).

I wouldn't chance it. If I was in this situation I would try to trade with someone who has a smaller unit that could utilize a larger one or I would buy a smaller unit and attempt to sell the larger one to get the money back for the smaller.

That's exactly what I was wondering about, that you so much for helping me!

A close up of a window air conditioner.
Installing a Window Air Conditioner
Home and Garden Home Improvement CoolingJanuary 3, 2010
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
Window Air Conditioner
Winterizing a Window Air Conditioner
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Central Air Conditioner
Central Air Conditioner Reviews
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 1:37:42 AM on 10.0.1.80 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.