General AdviceConsumer Advice

How Well Do Garment Steamers Work?

Does anyone know from experience how well a garment steamer works? I was thinking of buying one, but would like to hear from others who have had experience using garment steamers.

By Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

I bought a steamer & was not satisfied at all. Too messy & hard to use. Most of all, it did not do the job at getting my garments looking wrinkle free as I thought it would. I would not waste my money on it.

I agree with Ace00. Don't waste your money. I was given one as a Chritmas gift and was not pleased with it. I know it cost $100. So, it was not cheap. I had used steamers before in a ladies' dress shop that worked wonderfully. I think the main difference was, we hung the garment flat on a large flannel board. I tried using my bedroom door and steamed the finish off! So, not so great an idea.

I bought one years ago and I loved it. Used it for years, my boys even used it. But since then I have discovered putting a wet rag in a dryer with the item I want to be wrinkle free.

Sounds as if I'm the only one that likes a steamer. My husband bought ours at Costco for his suits when on travel. I stored a bunch of polyester blouses in a plastic container that I never had to iron. When I took them out of the attic after two years of storage, they were all wrinkled. I washed them and they were still wrinkled when they came out of the dryer. I then tried ironing them with a steam iron. Still no luck. I was finally able to get the wrinkles out with my husband's travel steamer. I did have to hold the steamer no more than an half-inch to a inch away from them before it worked. My blouses are all wrinkle free once again and will stay on hangers from now on.