Window TreatmentsDecorating

Window Treatment for Sliding Doors

Any window treatment ideas for sliding doors besides the usual vertical blinds? I have a sliding door in my living room and in my bedroom that both go out to a terrace. Thanks for any ideas.

By Georgie6 from Queens, NY

I've heard that shower curtains (nice fabric kind) will fit a sliding glass door. You should be able to hang a tubular curtain rod above the doors to hang the shower curtain from.

Lace makes everything look nicer. If you windows look out into someone else's balcony or a scene that isn't too pretty, this will help. If it's privacy you want, go to a local fabric store and you will no doubt find 5' rolls of clear and special effects plastic. You can find plastic that lets in all the light but is so prism'ed that you can't see through it. You can also get some through specialty catalogs like Miles Kimble that look like stained glass. Good Luck!

When we took our vertical blinds down, I had wanted to put up a curtain. I wanted a curtain that would block light in addition to looking nice. I was tired of the vertical blind look.

Curtains made for patio doors started at about $130.00 and went way up from there, if I could find them at all.

I found light-blocking curtains at Wal-Mart for around $20 each. I had to buy three of them and hem them up so they wouldn't drag the floor, but the final cost was around $60 and you could even sew them together to make one big panel if you wanted to, but I haven't done that. I'm still debating on doing that. When I can find a traverse curtain rod the right length and on sale, I want one of those too to put the curtains on so when I close them, I won't have to adjust them every time so they look even all the way across.

Anonymous

There are also window cling treatments in rolls with various designs that are applied with soap, water and a squeege to the glass and you then cut the excess edging with a razor blade or exacto knife. I've used them before and they give privacy but still let the sunlight in. I've even used them in a bedroom because even at night it's not too bright for sleeping from the light of the street lights. But then again I am a night light lover so that might not work for you in your beroom if you like it dark ;-) As long as you don't scratch them roughly they look good and last forever. If you ever do want to remove them, it's easy.

You can get them at any store like Lowes or Home Depot.

I know they are more expensive, but plantation shutters are great. I have them on all my sliding glass doors and many of my windows. I got tired of changing drapes when I changed my decor, for the shutters go with everything. It's easy to control the amount of light you let into the room, plus you can direct the light so that it is indirect. They are also easy to clean.(They don't trap dust as easily as drapes do.) A gentle push is all it takes to open or close them. Mine are over 12 years old and I have had no problems.

I needed some as well years ago and what I did was find pretty queen sized sheets. I bought three, cut the side of the hem for an opening, hand stitched them around the opening so they didn't fray, ran the rod thru them and put them up over the doors. It did a good job with several bunched together for keeping out light for me.