Making Penny Rugs

I am thinking of trying my hand at making vintage style penny rugs. I went shopping for wool felt and had difficulty finding any that was 100% wool. There were bolts that were a wool and rayon blend. Has anyone made these rugs using material other than 100% wool? Were the results pleasing?

By Barbara from Port Orchard, WA

A "penny rug" is a decoration made of stitched together coin shaped fabric scraps. I didn't know what a penny rug was until I looked it up. I assume any material would work. Just depends on the money you're willing to invest. I buy sheets at the thrift stores for some rugs I've made in the past.

I haven't tried it, so don't know if the results would be the same. Some people who make penny rugs go to second hand stores and purchase wool clothing. They take the clothes apart at the seams, then machine wash and dry it, which shrinks and felts it. This gives them a wider variety of colors than if they purchased wool felt. But of course you can purchase wool felt online.

I have made many penny rugs using wool and rayon blend. I use them for doilies, for all occasions. I got a book from Hobby Lobby (quick easy penny rugs). It has a lot of patterns in it. Good luck. You can also get ideas on the Web.

Making Penny Rugs
Crafts RugsNovember 15, 2010
Bathroom with orange towels and an orange rug.
Color Coordinating Towels and Rugs for Your Bath
Throw Rug
Cleaning Throw Rugs
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
🎉
🎄