Fixing Pin Hole In Cake Pan

I've got an aluminum cake pan with a pin hole on the bottom. Any suggestions as to how to fix it?

Gloria from Saskatchewan

Throw it out and buy a new one.

It would probably be better to purchase a new one instead of fixing it.

To fix the hole, put a small screw from the bottom of

pan then put the washer on, the small screw will be inside

of cake pan. Won't hurt the cake.

Use a piece of parchment paper on the bottom when you bake and it shouldn't leak. Keep it from slipping by dabbing butter or shortening between the pan and the paper.

Just throw it away and get you another one.

You could always put a blob of solder over the hole or line it with parchment as already suggested.

As for buying a new one, surely that's a waste of money & resources.

My hubby came up with this one. If the pin hole is small enough, you can probably turn the pan upside down, make sure the inside of the pan is against a flat surface, then take a hammer to tap the edges of the hole back into place to seal it. Hope this makes sense. Good luck!

I've seen my grandmother put a dome fastener through the hole from the bottom and hammer it flat on the upside. I'm in my 70's so you can imagine how long ago that was.

1. put a small piece of aluminum foil over the hole when you use it to bake a cake

2. solder the hole

3. use parchment paper to cover the hole

Susan in Omaha

Don't throw it away! If you can't solder, take it to a place that does welding. They will make it turn out beautiful! and they probably won't charge you. My pan had the handle break off, and the welder who repaired it didn't charge me.

I would suggest you try putting a dab of finger nail poiish on the pin hole outside of pan (perhaps putting a second dab on after first has dried). I personally haven't tried this on a cake pan, but it works for many other small hole mishaps. Good luck.

Isn't solder lead? You shouldn't use lead for food. Of course, my grandpa used to make cups out of baking powder tins for his kids to use at school, with nice soldered rims, but still, now we know about lead poisoning. Same guy also did the washer thing. That works.

Aluminum is difficult to weld. Not worth the effort for a pinhole. My ex husband was a welder. I have a pan with a pinhole that I have used for years as a broiler. Doesn't matter that it has the pinhole for that.

Use it as a short planter or to start seedlings and get a different one at a garage sale or thrift store for 50 cents.

I've had a lot of luck using plain clear tape. Make sure the pan is dry and tape a small piece on the outside of the hole. This will last through the baking process. It doesn't work too well with really juicy items, though.

Years ago I repaired an old canning pot with liquid solder and it worked beautifully. I am searching for that item to make another repair. No store here handles it but I've found it on the internet/

Don't know if you can buy the little packet of pot menders. Mom bought them and repaired small holes in her pots and they did a good job. This would be in the 40's and 50's.

The little "fix-it" package was called Mend-its. I would love to buy some if they are still available. Does anyone know?

Don't know if anyone has thought of this...but my husband thought it is aluminum let's try aluminum duct tape. We had 3 pinholes covered them up and baked a cake and it worked... Voila!

Home and Garden Repair OtherMay 29, 2008
Repairing a Hole in Drywall
Repairing a Hole in Drywall
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Wood with a screw in it.
Fixing a Loose Screw in Wood
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
🎄