Have a No Drive Day Each Week

Institute a no-drive each week to save on gas and get exercise. We are fortunate to be in walking distance (1-1.5 miles) to just about everything we need. Of course, this won't work for everyone. But for some, you can plan to drive even fewer days a week. I pull my kids in the wagon to run errands. We go to the grocery store with our reusable bag(s), and only buy what we can fit in them. This prevents me from buying items not on my list or heavier, unnecessary items like pop and other sugary drinks. We get home, and we've all had fresh air, I've had a work-out pulling 80+ lbs in the wagon, my errands are done, and I haven't made excessive purchases.

By Britt from Boston, MA

Excellent! You go girl! Now that the weather is finally getting better (at least in my neck of the woods) I'll definitely be hoofing it more now :-)

What a great idea! When I was young I would load up my toddler and the laundry in a red wagon. Just around the block was a laundromat.

I have been walking for several years, started a little after I retired. And since I have gone back to two cars (got rid of my husbands, kept mine after hubby died, then took over my brothers SUV after he died) and have to keep two (due to my moms illness, long story, though she is now in an assisted living facility, I try to save on gas as much as I can. I walk so much, the cops wave to me, the store owners want to know where I have been if I don't show up for a few days. I am 57 now and walk more than ever. I usually do between 5-10 miles a day, pick up small items that I can carry from the supermarket, and even larger items (you'd be surprised at what I can carry home), books from the three libraries within walking distance, even my doctors are close enough to walk (unless I am deathly ill). If I need something, I just lace up my sneakers and off I go. When gas prices hit the high $4 (I live in an area where everything is way over the national average), I filled up my tank about once every five weeks or so. I don't have any kids so for me it is a bit easier but there are ways to not drive. My mom never drove, she either walked or took public transportation. There are a few parks by me too that I walk to. Once I started, I got hooked and now make it a daily routine.

I agree with this whole heartedly! I don't actually drive (too absent minded!) but I have a bus pass and walk into town when it's warm out. We have one car which my husband drives to/from work daily (10mins each way) and other than that the vehicle is barely used unless we want to run errands. Everyone should walk, take the bus or at the very least, carpool with several co-workers or schoolmates. :)

If you really wanna save on gas and save the environment, try this: www.greasecar.com

That's a fantastic idea! I wish I could still do that where I live. I used to walk to the post office every day to check my mail (1.5 miles each way) but in the past year there have been 2 large dogs move in that the owners refuse to keep restrained. And the local police here haven't done anything at all to make the owners restrain their dogs, even tho there is a leash law here.

So I have come up with a way of getting my exercise. We just bought a power mower and I mow one section of our 1.5 acre lawn every day. I have totally quit using the riding mower. I get a fantastic workout this way.

How lovely to have a 'no drive day'. However, when one lives in the sticks, like we do, even going to the post office is 8 miles each way. The nearest non mom and pops store is 15 miles away.

I also have two autistic kids that have appointments, a mother in law in a nursing home that we try to make sure we visit at least twice a week in a town 15 miles (in the opposite direction of the grocery store) from us.

It is a RARE day that we do not go anywhere. So, while that may be a nice gesture, but for so many it is not something that can be done.

Other things CAN be done, however. Recycle, use plastic cups from home and bring them with us when we go on our day trips, instead of eating at restaurants. Do not litter, keep a bag with you for trash and when you clean out your car. Bring cloth or canvas bags for groceries.

Just a note for those of us who may not be able to to a big thing, but can try to do several smaller things.

Photo of someone pumping gas.
Saving Money on Gas
Better Living Green Living TransportationMarch 2, 2009
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Father teaching his son to drive
Teaching a Teen to Drive
Woman Weighing Herself
Losing 5 Pounds in a Week
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Being Single on Valentine's Day
🎉
🎄