HealthPets

Spay Your Pets To Avoid Pyometra

Category Health

Pyometra, this is a disease female cats and dogs can get if they are not spayed. It's very painful and can cause death within days. I learned about this horrible disease the hard way. If you love your pet, please spay! You will be saving her life!

By Kim from MO

If your pet is female, this is something that every pet owner should know. If you don't spay your pet, it could cost your pet her life or you could end up with big vet bills.

I have a big (70 lb) dog and never bothered to have her spayed because she never went outside. She ended up with Pyometra (acute inflammation of the uterus) and I had to pay over a thousand dollars for her emergency surgery. Thankfully, she's just fine now, but I could have avoided a lot of heartache and financial woes if I had gotten her fixed.

If you feel you can't afford to have your dog spayed/neutered, check with your local humane society or animal shelter to see if they offer free or low cost clinics.

Kim, this is one of the most important tips I've ever seen here, thanks for posting it.

Absolutely the truth! Our Chihuahua had this. I knew she had an infection somewhere, looked at her urine but it was clear. Pus was coming from somewhere so I figured it was her uterus. Took her to the emergency vet, she did a hysterectomy saved our baby and cost $900.

Also - Pyometra can occur in as many as 25% of unspayed females who have received an Estradiol shot--this is the"mismating" or "abortion" shot that is given when the unspayed female has had sexual contact, and the owner wants to terminate the pregnancy.

That shot is basically a big dose of estrogen, which serves to soften and dilate the cervix and make the dog susceptible to infection--and Pyometra is a nasty, pus-filled, extremely painful and possibly fatal condition for the dog. So much more responsible, and humane to spay, and early.