Organizing Your Desk

I am a receptionist and my office desk is so unorganized with pencils/ink pens and scissors laying around, desk trays, date stamp, rolodex, tape dispenser, etc. I have a large office and it looks so dull. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can organize my desk?

Onesummer from CA

Go to the dollar store, most have some great organizing devices. If you can find a silverware organizer, take a black sharpie marker, and write the name of the item that belongs in that section onto it. that way you won't have to remb. where everything goes.

I use little trays to organize everything. I also would be interested in finding neat ideas for office decorations - pictures, etc. I want to maintain a very professional office, but don't have a lot of funds to decorate. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Sheri

Try a lazy susan for the rubber stamps, etc. Puts everything in one place and makes it easy to find. If you have a file cabinet next to your desk try using magnetic pockets or cups to keep pens and such handy.

You can find a lot of great items for organization at the Dollar Store or Wal-mart. A large coffee mug can hold pens, highlighters, etc. while adding personality to your desk. Baskets are my favorite way to organize! You can find all kinds of inexpensive ones in all different shapes, sizes and colors. They can hold books, manuals, and other items in the floor leaving your desk free from clutter. Letter trays are always pretty inexpensive at the Dollar Store. You can also find pretty folders there to help add pizzazz. Calendars are on sale right now, so you could find some really pretty ones at 1/2 price or more. You could get one to lay flat on your desk or hang on the wall as part of the decor. Don't forget to bring in pictures of loved ones and pets in inexpensive frames to set around to help cheer you up each day!

We have the same problem. What we did is corral little odds and ends into clear plastic tupperware by type, even without the lids. They stack on each other and everything is clearly visible. We also installed file trays that stack on each other and labeled them, so at least we know where everything is. The hardest part with this is making sure everything goes where it belongs. Good luck!

Thrift stores and dollar stores, and Big Lots offer the most variety. Think outside the box! Unusual baskets make great "collectors." So do short, wide etched glasses (drinking). I have a couple that I lined with purple translucent paper and then stood pens, scissors, markers, etc., in them. You can vary shapes or textures, or go for a unified theme depending on your space. I prefer several smaller containers versus larger ones. None of my holders is standard office issue and it looks great! I get lots of compliments. Also, if you haven't done so already, a small lamp or two strategically placed in the desk work areas makes the space look much more homey and I find it easier to work on tasks with them on.

I use a cutlery tray that fits into a drawer for my stationery.

Do take a serious look at how much stuff really needs to be on the top of your desk - if you're not using it say, twice a week, it's taking up prime real estate and should be in a drawer! :)

I hate full pen holders on my desk that look messy. I also hate when people walk off with my pens...so I had this idea - you know how some places attach plastic flatware to their pens? Tacky, right? Well, I also wanted to add some nice silk flowers to my desk, so I did both! I bought half a dozen really pretty tulips and some floral tape. I cut the flower stems down a bit and attached them to my pens. Then I bought a tall cylindrical vase at Wal-mart for 3 bucks and some clear glass beads. I put the pen/flowers into the beads, and viola! Pens people can use, they look pretty, and my pens don't walk away. Also, I get a lot of compliments on my idea. A friend of mine took the idea in a little different direction that I thought was another cute idea. She loves the smell of coffee, so she used coffee beans instead of glass beads, and she put her flowers in a terra cotta pot. SO CUTE!!

Organizing Your Desk
Organizing Your Desk
Organizing OfficeJanuary 19, 2007
Leather Topped Desk
Removing Paper Stuck to a Leather Topped Desk
Drawer Organizer
Desk Drawer Organizer Ideas
Desk Calendar
Making A Desk Calendar
A messy computer desk.
Organizing Your Computer Desk
🎉
🎄