Killing Mange Mites with Bleach - Categories:

HealthDogs

Killing Mange Mites with Bleach

Does bleach kill mange mites? I have a small pool for my kids (15ftx2ft) and my 2 black Labs have mange that I am treating. Being Labs, they keep getting in the pool. I need to know if it's okay for my girls to still swim in it since I keep liquid bleach and Algae Guard in it?

I'm not trying to be lazy. It's just that it's hard to clean out and uses a lot of water and it would have to be done daily.

By Fucryinoutloud

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I'd drain the pool and forget about it until the dogs are cleared up. Dependent upon which type of mange it is--your kids can get it, too.

Also, the algae/bleach combo isn't good for the kids, either.

I wouldn't risk the kids health. Drain and clean the pool thoroughly. If you refill for the kids to use put it where the dogs can't get in, or keep it covered when not in use.

I am a veterinarian. You do not need to drain your pool. I am assuming your dogs have sarcoptes (scabies) and not demodex. (Demodex does not affect people while sarcopted does.) See www.veterinarypartner.com for accurate info in treating the environment. Good luck!

Pets Dogs HealthAugust 12, 2009
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Rendering of a dust mite on a white background.
Getting Rid of Dust Mites
Remedies for Dog Mange
Remedies for Dog Mange
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 3:12:50 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.