Don't Toss That Broken Fan!

Don't toss that broken fan until you've removed both parts of the round wire blade cover and cleaned them well, for two of the finest and sturdiest patio table/garden baskets, chip servers you will ever find for free!

One always has a small hole, but the other does not. Some have a cover on the small hole that could be removed to make a larger hole so that a thin patio umbrella handle could be placed inside then pushed on into the patio table hole, creating a nice wind-resistant basket. They're tough and washable for many years of use.

Depending upon the size of the fan, they are often oversized, just the right depth, and tough enameled painted wire of various patterned mesh. Add a large paper napkin or colorful cloth and they're really cool for frugal living! They can even be painted a bright color should they be stained or marred by anything, so slow down and take a good long look using your imagination and right tool for removing.

It isn't the least bit hard, only a tiny bit to wash for such great and useful recycled items. I've already used them to sun-dry a number of extra large seed pods, and wet pine cones as well. They make excellent strainer baskets for most anything and even unbreakable tailgate party/picnic servers. I am amazed that I haven't thought of this before with all the electric fans I've tossed in the past.

By Lynda from TX

I'm not picturing what you are speaking about for the parts

Are you able to post pictures of what you have done?

What a great idea! Now I wish we had round fans instead of the box type! If you find places when the paint has come off, you might consider buying a bottle of appliance repair and cover the spot(s). This has an acrylic ingredient that protects against rust better than undercoating or other paint. Of course, you can paint over it if it doesn't match (it comes in white, usually.) Thanks for the idea--I have archived it for use in the future.

Darn! I just threw out one that would have been perfect 2 weeks ago!!

What a great idea ! Would to see a picture of it. Thanks

I cant picture this... I would like to see a photo too please.

i would like to see a pic too please - sounds nice !

i'm not sure but it sounds like you mean the wire outside of the fan - the protective wire part ? sometimes they are plastic...?

One should not put food in anything not designed to hold food. Today's plastics and paints are toxic. There is a limit to being thrifty. Broken fans need to be put in the trash. If one really wants to recycle then take it apart, take the plastic and metal to a recycling place and let them use it for something else.

Broken Fan
Reusing a Broken Fan
Better Living Green Living ReusingOctober 26, 2006
A broken green dish in several pieces
Reusing Broken Dishes
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
wood and rope ring toss game
Ring Toss Game Ideas
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan