Is There a Difference in Quality When Using Butter Instead of Margarine?

Is there a difference in quantity when using butter instead of margarine in both general cooking and baking?

By Beverly from Carlsbad, CA

If you use real margarine, the baked quality will be similar in texture, etc. If the butter flavor is a component of the cookie (for example, in shortbread), you will notice some difference in flavor.

What you need to be careful of, however, is not to use the "spreads", tub margarine, softer sticks or other margarine products that have other ingredients in them, such as water and other liquids. The good news is that usually the old-fashioned, "regular old" margarine are less expensive than some of the other products.

The easiest way is to look at the calorie count on the nutrition label, the calories should be the same as butter, around 100 calories per tablespoon.

I have used the stick margerine in cooking/baking for years and can't tell any difference.

I'm confused. The subject asks if there is a difference in "quality," but the written question asks if there is a difference in "quantity."

Others have already answered about taste (quality). I'm not sure what Beverly would want to know about quantity, but butter and margarine measure the same. If you're substituting one for the other in a recipe, use the same measurement.

Not sure what exactly you are asking, I can only say that in my baking days I used oil no matter if the recipe said oil, butter, margarine, lard. Used same amounts, a cup of one is a cup of the other to me. I had good results with the oil all the time.

Butter tastes the best.

If you are using the original (i.e. stick or hard) there is no difference in the quantity (amount) but you should not substitute soft for hard, or vice-versa.

As for quality, there will be some difference in flavor but the end product should be very much the same, with only a slight difference in taste.

Paula Deen says so.

Spreading button on to a piece of toast.
Butter vs. Margarine
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceNovember 2, 2010
Jar of peanut butter surrounded by peanuts.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipes
corn with real butter
Benefits of Using Real Butter
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Cooking With Butter
Cooking With Butter
🎉
🎄