Keeping Driveway Clear of Plowed Snow

I live in New England. We've had our first snowstorm of the year with more to come (supposedly). Any tips on how to avoid the snowplowed snow from the street from blocking our driveway. Just thought maybe someone had a nifty tip for this.

Marie from MA

Well, Marie you can do what I do and that is to shovel the street in the direction that the plow comes in. For example, standing in your drive way, if the plow comes from the left then shovel in that direction for a distance of maybe 5 or 6 feet, depending on how much snow has fallen. This gives an space for the snow to fill in from the plow and less in your drive way. What you are doing is shoveling that mound of snow which is called a mogul.

Thank you Harry, that's a great idea!

Oh boy. I live on a corner, and every time the plow came around the corner, he filled my driveway with up to 3 feet of snow. I was shoveling up to 5 times a day. I finally asked for a professional opinion and help from the village.

Now the snowplow drivers push the corner snow that is "upstream" from my driveway, into my "upstream" right-of-way. That way, when the plow comes around the corner, there's less snow for him to push into my driveway. I also shovel frequently, of course.

Same idea as Harry's, except the snowplow rather than my shovel does the work. I also have a neighbor with a tractor whom I can call, if necessary.

Ah, sweet spring, where are you?

Snow Removal
Snow Removal Tips
Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceDecember 22, 2008
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
How to Shovel Snow, Man Shoveling Snow
Shoveling Snow
Snow Ice Cream
Snow Ice Cream Recipes
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway