Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dog Biting Hair Off

After having my Chow cut for the summer, she now bites the hair off her back legs and tail also around her back area. She has almost no hair left.

By Terry from CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Chalkbrd01/09/2010

My part chow has battled something all summer and now long into the winter. They could never find a flea on her, but my cat came down with the same thing and they finally found one flea. Vet said it only takes one flea to make an allergic pet really itch to the point of losing hair and all. One good thing to help is Sulfodene ointment. Doesn't deal with the reason the dog is itching but will help to heal some of the wounds and helps to ease the itching. Good, strong flea treatment of pet and environment for 3 months is what the vet said.

By Karen Sunnenberg01/08/2010

I have a mutt who was doing the same thing. She had chewed off a lot of fur and was down to bloody, scabby pink skin (although she is smooth-haired so there was no haircut involved). My two vets (husb. and wife) advised me initially in May that it was either a food allergy or an anal gland problem. Well, the problem anal gland was removed in July, and my dog, Sophie, still chews/licks a huge hotspot on her thigh as well as spots around and under her tail. Since July, vet has put Sophie on the Hill's Prescription Diet z/d formula food. They've also had her on Prednisone and Cephalexin for six months!

As of this month (Jan. 2010) the meds are discontinued and we're hoping the prescription food alone will "cure" the problems in the next few months. Sophie has improved greatly, the hotspot is healing and fur is growing. She still licks/chews her hotspot, but I'm working hard to control that with an e-collar so Sophie can't reach the hotspot to chew it. According to my vets, the whole thing has been a food allergy and we're halfway to solving it. Sorry for the never ending post, but I wanted to share my experience with you. You may want to talk to your vet about switching foods as a first step. Good luck.

By Kerry01/08/2010

Is your Chow on any flea treatment/preventative? The are where she is itching is the usual site for flea bite dermatitus.