OdorsCleaning

Fishy Smell In My Bathroom

Category Odors

I have a fishy smell in my bedroom. It's not there all the time and there's no stains anywhere. I've totally emptied the room and mopped the carpet as I have 2 cats and wondered if they had wee'd. It's not there all the time. It came the other day when I plugged the T.V. in, then another time when I moved a box, it starts weak then gets unbearably strong. After about 30 minutes it disappears again.

Mandy from Great Britain

I'm guessing you have a below-the-scenes water leak, Mandy. Pipe fittings may be loose and water may be seeping into your sub-flooring. It may cost a few dollars (better a few now than many more, later), but I'd suggest you have a plumber come in to take a look. (My neighbour had a very similar situation two months ago, also has cats: turns out that when she'd recently had the flooring replaced the toilet hadn't been set on properly.) I'm not suggesting your dilemma is as serious (or ultimately costly), but why not find out for sure from someone who knows his (plumbing) business.

Good luck!

Rose Anne

The same thing happened to us. The smell would come and go for the past three years! It turns out it was the plastic or some material in the lighting on the ceiling light. When my husband took the ceramic piece off the light, the horrid fish smell was overwhelming.