Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Food Ideas for Wedding on a Budget

2 0EmailFollow
Food Ideas for Wedding on a Budget

Sharing food with friends and family at a wedding does not have to be expensive. This guide contains food ideas for wedding on a budget.

Here are questions related to Food Ideas for Wedding on a Budget.

Question: Planning a Budget for Wedding Meals

How much would I spend on food and drinks for a wedding, with a guest list of 200?

By T. Nare from Moshupa

Most Recent Answer

By imjanz3305/28/2013

If you don't want presents ask guests to bring a plate. Divide up between savoury and dessert using who are best at making what. We had a great wedding doing this and enough food and selection!

Question: Inexpensive Wedding Reception Menu Ideas

My wedding is next month and I'm still stuck on what to serve at the reception. We're on a tight budget and are expecting about 100 people. I'm thinking Italian styled, but I don't know how to go about it. I don't wanna do anything too heavy as it will be hot. We are in the South! How can I make this work without spending too much?

By K. Garrett

Most Recent Answer

By Wanda 06/13/2014

Hi, perhaps bruschette, mushrooms, olives, salami, quiches, beautiful cheeses with artisan breads, crisps, tomatoes, melon wrapped with prosciutto, etc. I hope this helps.

Question: Wedding Buffet Ideas

We're getting married in November this year. We are having it at our home for around 50-60 people. We have decided on a buffet, but are not really sure what to offer as we don't want it too look tacky. Any ideas are most welcome.

By Tracey H.

Best Answers

By Sandi [391]02/21/2014

Those are good ideas but I caution making a sloppy dish. When I catered my sisters revow, I served a pasta salad, finger sandwiches, veggies, a fruit platter with crackers and parfaits for desert since the cake was to be served later. If anyone spilled anything, it would not stain. This was a formal wedding and everyone was in their nicest clothes. It's just a thought but everything else sounds great. Since you have some time, you might want to get some library books, research on line and really plan it for maximum "WOW" and minimal "WORK".

Best Answers

By redhatterb [1]02/20/2014

A lot will depend on the type of wedding you are having, decorations, etc. Some people do sloppy joes, potato salad, pasta salad, relish tray, etc. plus the cake, coffee, tea, and punch. Some people do buns with a variety of deli sliced meats and cheese, then the salads, cake, etc. There isn't really any reason to serve hot dishes. A lot will depend on the presentation, meaning the serving dishes, and utensils. Sloppy joes could be prepared in a slow cooker and served directly from that. Other wise if you don't have matching serving bowls, platters and utensils see if somebody that is a good friend or family member has them. Also what you serve will depend on the type of friends and family you have.

Question: Food Ideas for a Reception for 100 on a Budget

I am on a small budget and trying to find out different ideas for food at my reception. I am anticipating about 100 people.

By Crystal from Alton, IL

Best Answers

By PamK06/06/2011

We recently did a homemade mashed potato bar, we had grated cheese, bacon bits, sour cream and butter as toppings. We actually borrowed the idea from a wedding reception that was catered. I made the potatoes ahead of time, placed them in the small aluminum pans, kept them warm in a low oven until time, and then served them over the sterno cans. These were a big hit. A fruit tray is always good, pineapple, strawberries, grapes, blackberries, blueberries. Meatballs actually went over really well also, better than the finger sandwiches. Skip the veggie tray.

Recently went to an 1pm wedding where all that was served was dessert, mixed nuts, punch, coffee and iced tea. The desserts were enjoyable and fun. But this limits what the diabetics can eat.

Best Answers

By Marty [4]05/31/2011

My grandson recently got married on a budget. Different members of the family donated one item of food (enough to feed everyone) in lieu of a wedding gift. The menu included pulled pork, rye bread and buns, pickles, onions, mac and cheese, pepper jack mac and cheese, baked beans,chips. deviled eggs, plus fresh fruit. One of their friends oversaw the workings of the kitchen and kept the buffet trays filled. A friend baked the wedding cake.
The ceremony was held at the pavilion at a local lake.

Best Answers

By melody_yesterday [213]05/28/2011

I hope you don't think I'm being a smart aleck for this but summer is on it's way and you could hold your reception at a nearby state park or road side park or other campground. You can have a camp fire and roast wieners, marshmallows or S'more's? Pitch a tent for use as an office and encourage harmonica and sing-alongs? Sounds amazing (if you're into this sort of thing).

I'm pretty sure there would be a usage fee at a State Park but not the roadside park or rest area. In Missouri there are some with cook-out grills cemented into the ground & wonderfully massive concrete slab tables, you could call around to the Conservation Depts. or State Highway Dept to find out the rules for such a thing. Also Some wildlife reserves are cookout/camp-out enabled!

I think it would be a blast!

Some people are repelled by the idea of cooking food on a wooden stick, so have some wire coat hangers for them to DIY a roaster! Hot dogs, buns and other picnic "have-to-haves" usually go on sale as soon as picnic weather occurs!

Don't forget campfire popcorn:
http://www.google.com/search?source ... _enUS413US414&q=campfire+popcorn
I am hung-up on this huh?

P.S. I think it's pretty cool to involve this community in your plans by asking for ideas! I got revved just participating in this thread! I wish I had thought of this for myself back in 1985! Everyone would have such an awesome time! How much more comfortable than "suit and tie affairs" where you wish you were home instead!

Thanks!

Best Answers

By Jill [4]05/28/2011

I also agree that you do not need to have a meal at a reception; however, if it is what you want, then there are a lot of possibilities. Pasta can be a good budget stretcher. You could do a pasta "bar", with several types (shapes) of cooked pasta, a small variety of sauces and add-on's (red sauce, white sauce, meat sauce, meatballs, sausage, grated cheese), rolls, and a simple tossed salad. If you are adventurous: a taco bar, baked potato bar, or chili bar are also easy, relatively inexpensive, and let people make food their own way.

Taco bar: soft and hard tortillas, meat, cheese, shredded lettuce, sliced or chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, canned jalapenos, sliced black olives,sour cream, salsa, with extra chips on the side and maybe nacho sauce, and a fruit salad.

Potato bar: large baked potatoes, sour cream, chopped onion, bacon bits, chives, grated cheese, possibly barbequed beef, chopped ham, etc. with a tossed salad.
Chili bar: chili (maybe one with meat and one without), rice, grated cheese, sour cream, chopped onion, peppers, olives, served with a tossed salad.

Tapas is a nice trend, but I would not try to do that myself. If, however, you had a dozen friends/family willing to help, ask each of them to prepare one appetizer (you would have to coordinate to avoid duplication)--enough for MANY; and you could provide something like sliced/cubed meats and cheese and crackers.

Beverages can be simple, too, such as punch or a choice of sweetened or unsweetened iced tea and water. Or, between now and then, you could purchase soda pop on sale and stock up. Avoid the expense of alcohol, with the possible exception of wine or champagne for a toast, but don't buy expensive and limit it to one small glass per adult--though toasts can just as easily be done with punch or ginger ale.

Look in your yellow pages or ask around. There is likely a restaurant supplier in your area who provides wholesale type foods to various restaurants. Most will sell to the public as well. Get their price list, you may be surprised at how affordable buying pre-prepared foods can be. Just keep things simple, don't worry about keeping up with the Joneses, and most of all, have fun!

Question: Food Ideas For Wedding On a Budget

I need great ideas for my wedding in April. I don't have any clue what to serve at a reception for about 150 people, with not a lot of money?

Jennifer from Conway, SC

Best Answers

By Marie (Guest Post)01/11/2008

We live in Eastern Idaho and there is a Pepperidge Farm outlet near Logan, Utah, about 3 hours away. When my brother's children have gotten married, they have had a finger food buffet. They make a trip to the outlet and purchased HUGE bags of slightly defective cookies (you can't even tell they are defective) for SO CHEAP! They stay in the freezer until a few days before the wedding. Everybody wolfs them down at the reception!

Best Answers

By Barbara (Guest Post)01/10/2008

For food, go to your local grocery store (like Amealia's) and you can get chicken wings and make them yourselves. Buy big tubs at the dollar stores and fill up with chips and stuff. When K-mart or Wal-mart has soda cans on sale, stock up big time. Get family to help out.

Trust me, I had about 80-100 people and we paid everything up front. We didn't get a traditional wedding cake but got a large cake with our colors of blue and black. The wedding was beautiful and the reception was wonderful. It was held that in my sister-in-law's basement painted blue. Brother-in-law was DJ, I served and my husband did the grilling.

For your wedding dress, go to the JC Penney outlet store upstairs. They are real cheap. You can probably get your bridesmaids dresses too.

Solutions: Food Ideas for Wedding on a Budget

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Food Option for a Wedding on a Budget

I'm getting married next fall and we are looking at the options for food. We are going to be working on a pretty tight budget, so my family is probably going to do all of the cooking. Could you please give me some ideas of easy things to serve on a buffet? Please be as detailed as possible for I'm a horrible cook. Donna from KY

Smokies, Meat and Cheese, Breads

Some simple things to think about: "smokies" sausages (little smoke sausages) with BBQ sauce. These can be cooked in crock pots - all you do is place smokies in crock pot, pour bottled BBQ sauce I add a little grape jelly to mine to make a slightly sweet sauce, and cook on low for several hours.

If you don't want to use "smokies" you can use meatballs in the same way. Also sausage/cheese balls - you can find many recipes on internet for these (I prefer sausage, cheddar cheese, and bisquick for mine).

A meat and cheese platter would be nice (ham, turkey, etc. and sliced cheeses). Also, banana nut bread or zucchini nut bread sliced in different shapes placed on a platter with cream cheese would be nice. Have you thought about baking or frying chicken wings. They are relatively inexpensive (get on sale) and are really popular.

By Debbie

Menu Idea

I cater for all my family weddings, cookout, holiday parties, babyshowers and etc. This is a good cost cutting budget menu:

Choice of 2 meats:

• Baked Chicken
  • Meatball w/Gravy
  • Roast Beef
  • Sliced Turkey w/Gravy
  • Pasta w/Meatsauce
  • Glazed Ham

Choice of Sides:

• Green Beans
  • Corn O'Brien
  • Vegetable Blend
  • Steam Broccoli
  • Green Peas w/Pearl Onion
  • Rice Pilaf
  • Pasta w/Cream Sauce
  • Au Gratin Potatoes
  • Scalloped Potatoes
  • Macaroni and Cheese
Tossed Salad and a Dinner Roll.

I hope this will help you.

By Delores

Afternoon Reception

Around here, lots of couples chose to have an early afternoon reception and just have a tea. They serve punch, wedding cake, nuts, mints, and some cookies. A fruit salad would also be appropriate. Later, everyone will get a glass of champagne to toast the couple. If done right, it is simple and elegant.

Some buy a smaller wedding cake with additional sheet cakes to help cut costs. The newest thing is a tiered stand filled with cupcakes, which wouldn't be hard to make. You can even put a small wedding cake on the top.

Susan