Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Tiny Reddish Brown Bugs

I have a bookcase in my room and a few of the shelves have some old papers and magazines on them. I just was going through the papers and I noticed there were a lot of tiny tiny reddish brown bugs on them. They were about the size of a period.

They did not seem to jump, just crawled around in the papers. I can't even tell if they have legs (although they probably do). I also have on one shelf some beanbags that I have used outside for games, and I think the are coming from the bean bags. Any ideas? I'm about to go out of town and don't want to come home to a bug filled room.

By Joe58 from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By ibedg04/04/2011

I have been noticing the same reddish brown sometimes even an orangeish colored bug in and outside my home. Most recently though, I have had something ooze from my hair ! I have also had drops of something plop onto my shirt from my hair I think. my family is trhreatening to have me commited as they think I am loosing my mind when I try to explain to them some of the things I have noticed relating to these same bugs. They don't see anything in my hair ( the 1 time I actually got someone to really look at my scalp) I am really frustrated to say the least . I have been finding little rice crispie like things all over my house on kitchen & bathrm floors and on my carpets. Finally, my husband has admitted he too is seeing some of the same things. I now have a worrm like thing growing between my toes, Yech, and have increasing number of brown raised spots all over my body where this liquid stuff has dripped and If I don't actually wipe it off my arms or whereever it landed, the irritaed burning sensation will then begin to turn a brownish color and almost looks like those liver or sun spots we all get as we age. HELP! The two photos someone submitted using a micro lense is identical to my unwelcome guests!

By Nancy in NC [1]08/21/2009

Hi, Joe58, Why not try putting the beanbags (and anything else which might be hosting the bugs) into ziplock bags. Press out all the air, and put the bags in your freezer. If you can't get them into the freezer, just seal the bags after pressing out the air. The bugs should be dead when you get home, and you'll probably see them in the bag around the beanbags so you'll know for sure where the bugs are coming from. Nancy in NC

By Rose08/16/2009

What! Throw all of those things in the garbage? No way, those are just Chiggers. I too live in Florida and we get them from the trees. Like falling off of moss.

They most likely are coming in on the bean bag chairs. I'd say spray the chairs after each use with Deet. I nice little coat should do the trick. If you get bites, use fingernail polish (clear might look best =)

Chiggers are an immature stage of a harvest mite. To harvest, they would need blood. Here is a link I looked up. http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/u ... egorized/how-to-get-rid-of-chiggers/

By PENNY K [15]08/13/2009

The papers, magazines and bean bags have to go in the garbage. Vacuum the books, wipe the shelves with soap and water and put back books after shelves are dry.

If you must keep questionable items put in plastic tote with a lid and put in garage away from other boxes and put right where your car would be so you can be reminded to deal with it when you get home. But do not save the bean bags.

Solutions: Tiny Reddish Brown Bugs

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Clorox To Kill Tiny Reddish Brown Bugs

Someone asked the question as to how to kill these little reddish brown bugs that look like a speck of dirt or a bit bigger and you don't know it's a bug unless you see it move. They are not fleas. They don't jump and they only have two sets of legs. They look a little like the bugs that get into flour or pasta, etc. Spray them with Clorox. This works and I was using it and when I looked it up on the Internet the method was "good ole' Clorox"!

By Bugaloo from Southington, CT

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!