Browsing: Caring For Goldfish

Swimming Belly-up Goldfish Remedy

Recently a friend gave me two large gold fish they didn't want anymore. The one kept swimming belly-up (upside down). I was told it was a sign she was going to die soon. I couldn't take it watching her struggle! What it is, is a sign of infection and it affects their balance and buoyancy. It can't be cured.

But, I remembered an old, old remedy! I did it and it worked! I gave her early sweet peas. I smushed them between my fingers and put them in the tank. She ate them and after 1 hour she was swimming right side up like nothing. So, each day I feed her the smushed peas towards evening. In the morning she gets her regular fish food. Now, she swims with grace and beauty!

Remember it is not a cure, because there is no known cure for this.

By LilHoneyBrat

Response to Question:

I used sweet peas from a can. You have to mush them up. But, you can't use a lot maybe 7-8 peas only. But, I did forget to mention this also means you have to clean your tank more often. JJ

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I am sorry but I am confused. Do you mean sweet pea flowers, or actual peas from the vegetable garden, and can you use frozen peas that have been thawed out?

Hi,

We wrote to lilhoneybrat and got a response. Used canned peas. See the original post for the complete answer.

Susan from ThriftyFun

What does this do? I am a bit confused as to what this does and why it works?

Thanks for posting this remedy. My ryukin started swimming belly up today and I just gave him some peas. He's already swimming better. Thanks again!

My mom tried this and it WORKED!!! Well at least it seems to be working, the fish no longer floats at the top with its belly up. The water is a little muggy but she just keeps cleaning it, she even used frozen peas, with out the skin and the fish loves them, and she feeds it its normal food just not too much. Thank God for the internet, well, we could have just bought a nother fish. Which, it's not a goldfish by the way, it's some sort of other color fish.

My little pearl scale goldfish started to swim belly up and I was told to flush it. I've already given it two treatments of antibiotics and it seemed to get a bit better but it's not swiming around just kinda floats there like it can't unstick it's self from the top...I hope the peas work! ;o)

The peas are for constipation. When fish get backed up they go belly up. I have an Oscar who has been helped by pea therapy twice over the years. He now gets a few dehulled peas at the start of every meal... and if his picky butt refuses them he gets a tiny meal until next time. Then he waits an extra day before his next meal and that changes his mind. And no, it doesnt hurt for him to wait.

Overfeeding is the killer causes the whole problem in the first place. Fish need to eata lot less than you think. My guys eat once every two days...and they've never been healthier. The only exception would be very young fish who need a small meal every day.

Goldfish
Caring For Goldfish
Pets FishJanuary 6, 2005
Smiling Woman in Belly Dance Costume
Making a Belly Dancer Costume
How to Belly Dance, Beautiful Bealldancer
How to Belly Dance
Girl with Long Hair in Swimming Pool
Preventing Damaged Hair From Swimming Pools
Getting Rid of Belly Fat
Getting Rid of Belly Fat
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 19, 2016 at 4:14:13 AM on 10.0.1.228 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.