AdviceDogs

Poodle Puppy Smells Bad

We bought a standard poodle puppy 2 weeks ago. He is 4 mo old now and he smells terrible. We washed him but that did not help, he still smells. What could be the problem?

Inna from San Mateo

I'm babysitting my brother's dog, and he smelled horrible also. It was so bad that within two days we smelled awful also (the dog insists on sleeping in our bed).

We took him to our vet and found out that he had a yeast infection in his ears. She gave us some antibiotics and within a week the smell was gone!

A dog that we used to have got clogged anal glands and that was smelly too.

I would definitely check with the vet. My first thought was that it could be something in his diet, but cacshantih pointed out that it could be some other things that a vet should check for.

That's not normal. Get the puppy to a vet.

Sometimes poodles, and other breeds, can get compounded anal sacks. These smell very bad. The vet should be able to release the pressure.

Yes, take him to the vet. Anytime anyone gets a new pet, they should take him or her to a vet for a general examination.

If the smell is "fishy" it could be his anal glands. I would have your vet check him, and if he is prone to having this problem, the vet can show you how to safely empty the glands at home. It is disgusting, but I have to do this for my Saint Bernard about three times a year.

vet sounds good but spendy! try these tips frist. change diet-better shampoo like natures miracle brand or even add oatmeal to his bath, sounds weird but it absorbs the smell. if that does no good he might have a skin disease!

Make sure you take your new pet to your vet to be checked. Something I found recently with my Schnoodle as with all long-eared dogs, they can be subject to yeast infrections in their ears. I went to the local pharmacy and purchased monistat which I put in his ears to kill the yeast infection. In 2-3 days, the foul odor was gone and the brown weeping junk was better. Good luck with your puppy. They're a joy.

If it is his anal glands and you plan to take him to a groomer you should make sure that the groomer knows the absolute correct way to empty the glands as many groomers do this procedure and have no formal training & can cause the glands to become infected creating a large vet bill.