Substitute for Fast Fade

The company that makes RIT Dye Fast Fade has discontinued this product. Does anyone have a homemade recipe or method to fade very dark indigo denim? I want to fade my jeans a couple of shades all over, not just to spot fade them.

Thanks for all replies.
Truerblue

Best Answer

I tried doing this with bleach. I washed the jeans first not using any fabric softener. Then I added a 1/2 cup of bleach to the washer on a short cycle, it faded them. After this, I re-washed them in just a small amount of soap and used fabric softener. This is probably tough on the fabric a bit, but it did fade them.

If anyone knows another way, please answer as I too would like to know. Thanks :)

Best Answer

If you start with thick jeans - Arizona's are nice - the bleach will both fade and soften them up. It's hard on the fabric, which is why a thicker denim is advisable; I did my first bleach fading on a pair of Arizona's on clearance for 6.75. Thirty dollar Jeans for 6.75, so I wasn't too worried about ruining them. I soak my jeans in the bath tub with bleach and water. I'm going to try a few patterns (I bought five pairs of the 6.75 jeans), like you'd do with tie dye, by "painting" on a bleach and water mix.

Best Answer

Try using a cup of salt in your machine - and only half fill it. I wear jeans all the time and if you wash them every day for a week, on a long cycle, they will fade all over. You can see how much they have faded if you compare the outside color with the inside of one of the pockets. If you want them softer - soak in a very strong solution of fabric softener overnight and then wash as usual. The salt helps with softening too.

Best Answer

The RIT Fast Fade is not sold anymore, but they do still sell what is called RIT Color Remover which does the same trick. Use it in a tube or bucket so that you can reuse it if needed. Hope you like it.

Best Answer

USE Sunlight Machine Dishwashing Powder!

I'm so bummed that RIT discontinued this product. I spent the morning finding an alternative. Good News, RIT still had the MSDS for Fast Fade on it's website so I was able to find out what made it so great at discharging indigo-dyed denim. <http://www.ritdye.com/MSDS.74.lasso>

The main agents are Sodium carbonate and Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate. Of these two agents, it's the Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate that works to discharge the dye through oxidation. The carbonate alkalizes the pH, stabilizing the dihydrates reaction with the dye (it's basically a water softener). It also helps ensure proper chemical bonding between the dye and the fibers of the denim.

A quick check on the Household Products Database provided by the US Department of Health and Human Services website brought to light products still at market with these ingredients. <http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/index.htm> It looks like Sunlight Machine Dishwashing Powder has both of these agents and would be relatively safe to use at home. I do NOT recommend any novice go out and buy Pool Shock which is 99% Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate and start messing around in their washing machine. Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate is not to be trifled with! So give the Sunlight a try.

Does Rit still make the box of color remover? Once upon a tight economy time-- the dye of the garmet was removed and then re-dyed. I would take my time-read the directions well- dunk the garmet into the remover-- swish it around, wring it out, rinse it out-- keeping the remover in it's bucket-- then dry the item-- check for color-- and repeat as needed. After you've got the right color-- you'll need to wash the item by itself-- in case you still have color "bleeding"--

good luck

I also am looking for a substitue for fast fade!! It worked perfectly on my son's jeans, just the right color. Wonder why it is discontinued? I have tried bleach, but the color isn't as good, and it probably is hard on the fabric.

im trying to make my normal t shirts get that worn and vintage look . i know they had fast fade but i wanted to know if there was anything else . thanks

I have tried the rit color remover, but it takes a while to fade the fabric for what I use it for. I use a face cloth to fade patterns on my pants. I'm trying to find sometime that fade faster.

I have a small denim jeans manufacturing industry. Faded jeans is the in thing but I tried Bleach which does not work on most bull denim. Can someone give me an idea of how I can fade jeans commercially?

Thank you.

Naseer Ahmad

Use lava soap (or any pumice based soap) in the tub (great for wearing on the knees and crotch),or throw them in a double loader with 1 bar and wash 2 times.

How about using half a package of Rit color remover?

Anyone tried that? Sometimes when I use the color remover, the fabric will just come out almost removed. Would 1/2 the packet work?

I tried fading my husband's dark jeans with TWO packets of Rit color remover. They turned out VERY slightly different but not much.

I'm not sure if this will work, but my friend told me that if you put zero calorie soda all over your jeans, then put it straight to the washing machine alone. Then air dry the jeans.don't use the dryer. NOTE: I never tried it, so I'm not 100% sure if this will work.

Maybe if we all got together and asked, they would bring it back? I sure do miss it!

I bought 5 lbs and will sell 2oz for anyone wanting the original RIT Fast Fade. Message me if interested.

OMG! Rit Color Remover did nothing to dark colored jeans. I did it twice, one entire package on each wash and let it sit for an additional 20 minutes. Nothing.

Bette

(submitted via email)

Fast Fade is back on the market by the way. I've seen it at many fabric and costume places in LA and NY. In fact here is a place in Manhattan you can order it from on-line: http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/products/rit-fast-fade

dark jeans
Fading Dark Jeans
Crafts Clothing PantsSeptember 12, 2006
custom bleached denim with an intricate design
Bleaching Denim
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Denim Wallet
Making a Denim Wallet
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
🎄
🍂