Transplanting Orchids

Question:

I am looking for tips about transplanting orchids.

Gaye from High Point, NC

Answer:

Hi Gaye,

Repotting orchids is really only necessary when the plant has outgrown its pot, or the growing medium needs refreshing. This is best done at the beginning of the active growing season so that the orchids have as much time as possible to settle in and establish themselves.

1. Gently remove the orchid from its old pot, taking care to keep the roots intact as much as possible. If necessary, use a knife to loosen the plant from the sides of the pot.

2. Remove as much of the old potting soil from the roots as you can and trim off any dead or damaged roots.

3. If your plant is generally healthy, choose a new pot that is one size larger than its current pot. If significant portions of the roots are dead or damaged, go with the same size pot or even one size smaller.

4. Place coarse gravel or small stones in the bottom of the new pot to ensure adequate drainage.

5. Add a little growing medium on top of the rocks and set your orchid into the pot so that it is at the same height as it was in the old pot. Use a growing medium that is formulated especially for orchids.

6. Fill in around the orchid with additional potting soil, carefully working (not forcing) soil down around the roots. Do not bury the plant's rhizomes. Pat the soil down gently around the orchid so it stays firmly in place.

7. Water in lightly, and if necessary, add a stake to the middle of the pot for support.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Are your Orchids in a pot? If so, what I had done with my own was to use potting soil. I just uprooted the orchid, cleaned up the old soil, and then transplanted into the bigger pot. Yes it was still in bloom and yet the flowers remained beautiful for about 4 weeks thereafter.

Hi,

I finally got my first orchid last year and it actually bloomed this year. The potting mixture I have appears to be more like shredded bark...no soil (it said it was for orchids). Should I be adding soil to this stuff. Also, how do you know when it has outgrown it's pot.

Rose

Repotting Orchid
Repotting Orchids
Home and Garden Gardening TransplantingSeptember 25, 2008
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
growing orchids
Growing Orchids
Amaryllis
Transplanting Amaryllis
🎄