My Frugal Life: My Frugal Parents

My father was my example when it came to being frugal. He lived through the "dirty thirties" and the depression had a life long effect on his frugality.

We ate well. However, when my parents shopped, they were conscious of what they were getting for their money. When we left a room, the light was turned off. We had nice cars and stereos and were the first in our town to have a TV. This is because Mom and Dad were frugal and did not get the family into debt. Our furniture lasted for years.

We dressed well. I was amazed at the way our parents dressed us as there were four of us. I did like to wear my brothers' oversize sweaters. For dress clothes, my Mom and I had a seamstress make our dresses. Less expensive than store bought even if it was made of high quaility brocade or wool.

When I got married, I wondered how I would manage our finances. What I realized is that I had been learning all along!

Bev from Chilliwack BC

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Be proud of and grateful for your parents.

I, too, learned at my parents' knee(s) how to be wise with money. Boy, am I glad that I didn't get into student loan debt! My M.A. was a deal in the U.K. through a now - closed loophole & cost $500!

A seamstress could you not attempt too sew first yourself, or even crochet a dress or two before going into debt for a seamstress. Just a thought. I think you had almost similar life to mine growing up with one exception we sewed and crocheted yours did not. It is definitely good to inherit frugality.