Plastic Bins to Update Old Shelves

I have two old TV/small appliance carts on wheels that have two open shelves on the bottom. They are in good shape and very sturdy, but are outdated. I wanted to use them to store items on the shelves, but I did not like the idea of the open shelves since things would tend to get dusty/dirty.

I measured the width, height and depth of each shelf. I was interested in fitting plastic storage drawers that are sold in most stores. I found two different size storage drawers in Walmart. One drawer fits like a glove on one shelf, the other is a bit shorter width-wide but allows enough room next to it to fit two plastic shoe-size containers that can be stacked together. Both drawers fit a bit deeper than the shelves but that does not cause any problems since the drawers fit securely.

I consider the storage drawers an investment since they were not that cheap, one was $12.00, the other was $10.00, but I will now be able to use the carts for storage. The carts are sturdy and on wheels and can be moved freely. I also have a nice large area on top of the carts when I need it. I keep one in my pantry area/mud room, located off my kitchen and the other in a closet. The carts do not look very appealing but they do their job well.

By mkymlp from NE PA / USA

Good idea! I have one of those carts, too, and keep the cat dishes on top, away from the dog's mouth. The open bottom shelf now has some non-edible dust collectors but will be perfect for storing the cat treats & food bag once I put them in well-fitting drawers. Thanks for the idea!

I wouldn't be too hard to mak a fitted covor to go ove the unit, or simply to drape it with perhap a repurposed sheet like a tablecloth style.

Hi...think about painting them? It's amazing what paint to match the room can do. Some spray paints are good for plastic!

Totes on shelves.
Organizing Shelves
Home and Garden Home Improvement Helpful HintsApril 7, 2011
Man putting in Corner Shelves
Building Corner Shelves
Old Refrigerators
Uses for Racks and Bins from Old Refrigerators
Making Wooden Locker Shelves
Making Wooden Locker Shelves
Plastic Trash Bin
Uses for Plastic Trash Bins
🎉
🎄